LGB rail electrical connectors 5016/1

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
If you use these to connect to your rail, do you crimp the bare wire into the little nipple or solder, please?

Thanks.

SW

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would always solder..

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Soldering is better IMHO?

But then, I'm an Electronic Engineer....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Crimping should be fine - then add a bit of solder. Sometimes we just can't help ourselves :oops::oops::oops::oops:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
stranded wire out in the weather can "adsorb" moisture, it can "wick up" between the strands, and it can oxidize, so by "tinning" the end of the wire, you make it more resistant to oxidation / corrosion... also it keeps the strands together.

Kind of a good rule of thumb...

Greg

p.s. tinning enough so it goes back into the insulation jacket is best, but it takes some experience not to be melting the insulation back.. doing this really seals the elements out.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
stranded wire out in the weather can "adsorb" moisture, it can "wick up" between the strands, and it can oxidize, so by "tinning" the end of the wire, you make it more resistant to oxidation / corrosion... also it keeps the strands together.

Kind of a good rule of thumb...

Greg

p.s. tinning enough so it goes back into the insulation jacket is best, but it takes some experience not to be melting the insulation back.. doing this really seals the elements out.
Interesting I used the old wires from my last line on the latest one. Only problem was the oxidisation of the first few inches of wire as you mention Greg. All had to be re-tinned after cutting off that dreaded Oxidisation. What is the secret for how to tin into the insulation jacket please?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A good flux-cored solder, and get it hot from the end.. Let the solder 'wick' up the wire, and follow it back with the end of your solder..
If you are really lucky, the insulation will just melt enough to seal onto the newly tinned wire as well..

Reactions: 1 user