LGB rail electrical connectors 5016/1

• Thread starter Sarah Winfield
  • Start date
S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
If you use these to connect to your rail, do you crimp the bare wire into the little nipple or solder, please?

Thanks.

SW

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I would always solder..

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Soldering is better IMHO?

But then, I'm an Electronic Engineer....

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Crimping should be fine - then add a bit of solder. Sometimes we just can't help ourselves :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
stranded wire out in the weather can "adsorb" moisture, it can "wick up" between the strands, and it can oxidize, so by "tinning" the end of the wire, you make it more resistant to oxidation / corrosion... also it keeps the strands together.

Kind of a good rule of thumb...

Greg

p.s. tinning enough so it goes back into the insulation jacket is best, but it takes some experience not to be melting the insulation back.. doing this really seals the elements out.

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
stranded wire out in the weather can "adsorb" moisture, it can "wick up" between the strands, and it can oxidize, so by "tinning" the end of the wire, you make it more resistant to oxidation / corrosion... also it keeps the strands together.

Kind of a good rule of thumb...

Greg

p.s. tinning enough so it goes back into the insulation jacket is best, but it takes some experience not to be melting the insulation back.. doing this really seals the elements out.
Interesting I used the old wires from my last line on the latest one. Only problem was the oxidisation of the first few inches of wire as you mention Greg. All had to be re-tinned after cutting off that dreaded Oxidisation. What is the secret for how to tin into the insulation jacket please?

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
A good flux-cored solder, and get it hot from the end.. Let the solder 'wick' up the wire, and follow it back with the end of your solder..
If you are really lucky, the insulation will just melt enough to seal onto the newly tinned wire as well..

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
use 60/40 do not use lead free, doesn't solder well