LGB points (turnouts) causing derailing issue.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It's a bit of an irony that a large proportion of people in the UK who use the larger radius points, tend to use locos without skates.

It may have something to do with longer wheelbases / more wheels for current collection :rolleyes:
Never heard that one before - and I have to disagree with you.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Never heard that one before - and I have to disagree with you.
OK, probably another wrong theory of mine - our own bubble is sometimes too small :confused:

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The looseness of the skate leg lets it tilt backward making the leading edge lower. The locomotive front driver has also just ramped off the flange bearing frog making the skate front tilt down even further, it's edge digging into the gutter. My Stainz skate sits further to the outside already riding on the closest gaurd rail at this position. That may also indicate a back to back issue being too narrow. Checking back to back and reshaping the skates is a probably good place to start. That's if you still wish to use skates.

149266_f68b454a8980f62b7dc127f4be2cb0fa.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
OK, probably another wrong theory of mine - our own bubble is sometimes too small :confused:
So I may be skating on thin ice here, but those skates are on the locomotives for a reason. That reason is to pick up power on possibly less than perfectly clean track.

Reactions: 1 users

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Okay, I’ve had a play without any skates and as Stocker said the skates do make a significant difference. At least on my track.

When I examined the skates I found 4 of the 6 I removed needed a bit of ‘tweaking’ to enable them to pass freely over the frog (forwards & reverse).

Having refitted them everything is running as it should so it’s back to trying to complete the track, which as I’m sure you’re all aware probably won’t happen!

Thanks once again for all of your suggestions.
Regards,
Les.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting the photos. The interesting takeaway I learned a while ago, that while "larger number" switches, like R5 are more "gentle" in terms of curvature, the more "gentle angle" of the frog, means the throat (the open area swallowing your skates) is a bigger "hole"..

This is because since it is longer, that open area is longer. Combined with the typical lax tolerances of LGB and other "toy like" wheels and track means you have this issue.

Tighter tolerances, like the G1MRA or NMRA (not the toy train standard) minimize this issue. Also as mentioned before, a "flange bearing" design helps stop the WHEELS from dropping into the frog throat.

BUT, there's little to help the skates, which have no flanges to stop them from dropping below rail head height.

That's another reason I remove skates whenever I can.

Greg