LGB Point switch 1206

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Some months ago I picked up a couple of these for very little outlay, so I'm not complaining, but I am curious. Underneath the box it says "LGB No.1206 Electric" and the same inside the lid, (once I had drilled out the rusted-in screw) - with the addition of the "Lehmann" TM and "Made in Western Germany." However, the item is very definitely manual only - nothing electrical there in any way, shape or form. There is only a push-pull lever mounted on the end away from the tiebar link. The unit is the same size as a normal electric point motor case, give or take. It is still working as a manual switch with a single straight bit of springy wire a la Tortoise. From the four-digit number I guess this a very early piece of LGB - but how does it claim to be electric, please? All info welcome.

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Eaglecliff said:
Some months ago I picked up a couple of these for very little outlay, so I'm not complaining, but I am curious. Underneath the box it says "LGB No.1206 Electric" and the same inside the lid, (once I had drilled out the rusted-in screw) - with the addition of the "Lehmann" TM and "Made in Western Germany." However, the item is very definitely manual only - nothing electrical there in any way, shape or form. There is only a push-pull lever mounted on the end away from the tiebar link. The unit is the same size as a normal electric point motor case, give or take. It is still working as a manual switch with a single straight bit of springy wire a la Tortoise. From the four-digit number I guess this a very early piece of LGB - but how does it claim to be electric, please? All info welcome.

Mike - i have a few of these that came with old points i picked up, just checked mine are the same as yours, the text is the same on the lid for both manual and electric versions.
They are the older solonoid type if electric.
Easiest way to tell, is the electric version has three thumb screw type wire connectors sticking out one end and a push/pull slider at the other.
Manual one just has the push/pull slider one end.
Guess they just used the same lids

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, when I picked them up I wondered where the wires went!

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Thats right. In fact it was a classic piece of LGB design - design an electric point motor, then take out the parts you don't need to leave a manual control box. I still use a few as manual boxes for sprung points, as the spring is quite long and a bit more gentle when you push a light wagon against the points.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Hadn't got round to looking at comparative "light-vehicle-friendliness" factor but it struck me that the general operation of the device is perhaps more positive and potentially easier to repair than the convoluted spring design of the smaller manual switch which replaced this one.
Anyone know how old these 1206's are?