LGB point motors 1201 and 1206

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have been thinking about automating my Peco points for a while and have finally decided to go ahead and do it.

I have purchase a few LGB point motors from a chap on ebay (4 for £20, bargain). 2 of them are 1201 (motor type) and 2 are 1206 (solenoid type).

I'm fine with the 1201's but the 1206's don't have as much oomph, being solenoid rather than motor. Has anyone got any experience of using the 1206 types, either with LGB points, or Peco which is what I plan to use them on? Should I remove the point overcentre spring to reduce the load? Or am I best to not use them and get 1201's instead? Any advice welcome.

Possibility of x2 LGB 1206 motors being available for little money or exchange for cheap 1201's :D

P.S. I'm also looking for an Aristo TE point control module if anyone has an unused one lying around gathering spiders.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I'd keep the overcentre spring on the solenoid types. With the motor types the magnetic force between magnet and pole pieces helps keep the point blades in firm contact with the stock rails. There is no such force with the solenoid types once the operating switch has been released. If you need a bit more oomph try any or all of the following, increase the voltage, increase the current by using a greater maximum current output supply and use thicker wire to lessen voltage drop. The solenoid will only be powered for around a second, maybe less, so a modest increase of power is unlikely to cause overheating and consequent damage.

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The solenoids do have a locking mechanism to hold them once fired, so wouldn't need the over centre spring. I was just thinking of reducing the load.

I'll try with a higher voltage. Bearing in mind this will be DC supplied through an Aristo switch controller, what voltage is recommended?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I've never thought about using pure AC on the point motors I use a 28v AC 5amp supply on my EPL switches but since it's half wave DC does that make it 14v DC?? As has been said the load is only there for a second so overvoltage is OK BUT if the engine stalls over a reed contact it will fry the point motor....................

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Found this which may be useful it's from the original track planning and technical guide. THE Bible for EPL.....................
74b6ddc5b186443d82e54fafbe982651.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag