Lgb point motor switch

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
im in the process of wiring some point motors (12010), i am using a DPDT (on) off (on) type switch. as shown in a1 section of this pdf. http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/switches_explained.pdf
i am using LGB 50170 transformer. only trouble it does not seem to work,
the motor just rattles the points from side to side when power is added. and no matter what way i turn the switch it goes in the same direction, i have test on two motors.
after looking around on the forum at other threads i have seen that people advise the use of SPDT type switch and use 2 diodes to reverse the flow such as the guagemaster type, any help would be great on what i should be doing.,

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Sounds like your feeding the point motor with AC rather than DC. If you were using the LGB switchboxes they include diodes to rectify the AC to DC. If you want to keep using the Gaugemaster switch then you will either have to find a DC supply or fit diodes into your circuit (there are far better electronic brains on this forum to provide details on how to).

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
adeshers said:
Sounds like your feeding the point motor with AC rather than DC.

I agree, I guess you are using the ac output from the first part of the lgb controller. If I'm right you can test it by connecting your switch to the track with the controller turned up to around half to three quarters of maximum.
LGB used to do a 51080 18v ac power supply for point motors using diodes and switches, but similar ac or dc ones may be had cheaply from most electronics shops. I suggest one rated at 18V ac or 12V dc at about 0.5A.

08420402a87c4675831f13994b5a0232.jpg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
richand26mhz said:
im in the process of wiring some point motors (12010), i am using a DPDT (on) off (on) type switch. as shown in a1 section of this pdf. http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/switches_explained.pdf
i am using LGB 50170 transformer. only trouble it does not seem to work,
the motor just rattles the points from side to side when power is added. and no matter what way i turn the switch it goes in the same direction, i have test on two motors.
after looking around on the forum at other threads i have seen that people advise the use of SPDT type switch and use 2 diodes to reverse the flow such as the guagemaster type, any help would be great on what i should be doing.,

It sounds, to me, like you are using a double pole double throw switch without the spring action that would make it a momentary "ON". You can use DC with a momentary "ON" to control LGB point motors. Do not hold the switch in the on position for more than a second or two. Otherwise you might burn the motor out.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Those who've surmised that you're trying to use AC rather than DC get my vote too, given the symptoms you describe.

If you look at the diagram in section a1 of that Gaugemaster document you say you followed, the feed wiring from the supply is shown red and black which would normally indicate a DC supply.

If you've cross-wired a DPDT switch and you have a diode to hand, try inserting this into the wiring from the supply: if you're trying to use AC then this will at least give you a half-wave rectified DC which may be enough sort things out as a temporary solution until you get around to something like Neil's diagram.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Or the easiest solution would be to buy an LGB switch box and it will come prewired with all you need! give it a 18 to 24 volt AC supply and your set...............

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
thanks for the help. i am using the AC directly from the transformer. i will most likely get the guagemaster LGB specific switches and diodes. I only need two and the lgb switch box is a good idea if i cant get it working.

RobbParnes

Registered
6 Apr 2016
Canada
Best answers
It is looking that you are using the ac output from the first part of the lgb controller. If I'm right you can test it by connecting your switch to the track with the controller turned up to around half to three quarters of maximum.
LGB used to do a 51080 18v ac power supply for point motors using diodes and switches.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Haha how random. Yes I have got it workingI, i uses the guagemaster switches but I'm now fully dcc and it works fine.