LGB MTS Mallet DR

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Evening I have the CFV Mallet fitted with LGB sound and MTS, I would like to fit the DR with another perhaps better sound any ideas? Les

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Hi LES

ESU OR MASSOTH both very good

Is the DR alresady digital?

If you use the above sound decoders,

it would be a case of hard wiring them into the loco and discarding the current onboard PCB which if the loco is digital will include an integrated decoder, ( or at least the 3 I have digitised with Sound decodrs had!)

Cheers Steve

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Replace the decoder and sound with a Massoth XLS (8210085) - use a Massoth DCC Onboard adapter (8150701) to connect the existing wiring to the XLS.

Or replace the sound board with a Massoth S sound unit (but I'm not sure what sounds will be available for that yet).

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Agree with Steve. own preference to go for Massoth especially with visaton 8watt speaker

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Sorry Phil crossed wires I was thinking about the problem I have with the saxon meyer(under loco) I think the Mallet is not fitted with LGB decoders so I'll have to see if I can find out in my mail as I don't want to take the loco apart( I'm joking ofcourse) many thanks Les

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Replace the decoder and sound with a Massoth XLS (8210085) - use a Massoth DCC Onboard adapter (8150701) to connect the existing wiring to the XLS.

Or replace the sound board with a Massoth S sound unit (but I'm not sure what sounds will be available for that yet).

Apparently the whole of the library of sounds available for the XLS will also be available on the S, and according to the nice chap at Massoth (who emailed me back very quickly in response to my query), the S should be available from around the end of this month.....
All good stockists who currently supply Massoth (certainly Jeremy at Dragon, plus I assume Brian at Glendale and most of the others) should be able to supply you an S programmed with any sound set you want from Massoth's wide selection, once they have the chips in.

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Evening all,my filing worked and I bought it of a Mr Paul Speedman in 2007, is he still around? as I know it wasn't fitted with LGB chips. Hopefuly I should wait for the S chip? Les

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Evenng all, looking at the Dragon site the chip is £165, if I bought this does it mean it would replace the chips already in the loco or is it an add on? les

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Les,

I take it you are refering to an eMotion XLS? If so then the answer is "yes".

BTW, what is the LGB model number?

If the loco currently has a "large loco" onboard decoder, then it would be easier to use the DCC onboard decoder adapter - you replace the onboard decoder with the adaptor board (the LGB plugs should connect directly to the adaptor board). The XLS is then connected to the adaptor board using a suppled connector avoiding the need to disconnect the original plugs.

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Hi Mark I am talking about that chip. LGB No 25851 DR 99 201, The other Mallet CFV is standard LGB fitted, I know that the DR loco has chip or chips that take off slow and over run when power is turned off. I fitted to the OO motor a lead wieght on the shaft which is great and looks like the real thing. Does the Masth.. chip do the same? Les

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Les,

Looking at the service diagram for the 25851, it does not use the "large onboard" decoder but 2 55020/55021 decoders so you would not benefit from the Massosth DCC onboard decoder adaptor. You would need to use the LGB Decoder interface cable instead to connect to the existing electronics or alternativly discard them and connect directly to the XLS.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Had a talk with Brian at Glendale. The loco is an 02 year of manufacture and like Mark says it shows that there are two 55021 chips in it. Later ones have an on board decder fitted.
Watch this space

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Evening all returned from the NW Meet earlier with my Mallet with sound, putting it on the Potty Line it is a lot better than the LGB unit Many thanks Phil Les

Aljosha

Animals + their Surgery ;-), G/H0 Scale, Trumpet,
24 Oct 2009
Paris, France
Best answers
Dinas Bryn said:
Evening all returned from the NW Meet earlier with my Mallet with sound, putting it on the Potty Line it is a lot better than the LGB unit Many thanks Phil Les
Hi Les, sorry but could you clarify 2 points:
- Is this now a Massoth sound, and if, which make number please?
- Is this now doing a genuine Mallet chuff, as audible on the mallet.de website? = specific Mallet sound?

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Morning Markus, Phil removed a 3amp unknown chip, he thinks it was astro? he fitted a Massoth eMoyoin XLS chip, he is the only one who can tell you if its right I don't know but it sounds good to me Les

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Aljosha said:
Dinas Bryn said:
Hi Les, sorry but could you clarify 2 points:
- Is this now a Massoth sound, and if, which make number please?
- Is this now doing a genuine Mallet chuff, as audible on the mallet.de website? = specific Mallet sound?

Hi Marcus The chip I Have fitted is a Massoth XLS 8210085. Go on the Massoth site and compare the sounds for your self. Massoth advertise it as genuine sound. Bit of messing about getting the chuff rate set but I think worth it

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Philo,
do you think that you could let us know what CV's you changed and to what value to set the chuff rate up? I have a couple of puffers with Massoth Chips and get fed up with only 2 beats to the resolution of the drivers. I worked out how to do it with LGB built in sound, but not in my 0-8-0 as they do not now supply you with full cv listings on current LGB.
JonD

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Philo,
do you think that you could let us know what CV's you changed and to what value to set the chuff rate up? I have a couple of puffers with Massoth Chips and get fed up with only 2 beats to the resolution of the drivers. I worked out how to do it with LGB built in sound, but not in my 0-8-0 as they do not now supply you with full cv listings on current LGB.
JonD

Is the topic below of any help?
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m49487

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
[/quote]
[/quote]

Niel,
many thanks had completely forgotten that thread. Must be old age, have written the pertinent bits down to put in my Massoth Manual. Till I forget them again of course!
JonD

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
[/quote]

Niel,
many thanks had completely forgotten that thread. Must be old age, have written the pertinent bits down to put in my Massoth Manual. Till I forget them again of course!
JonD
[/quote]

Thanks Neil. Been out side otherwise would have refered to the same thread.

Ultimately its down to what you yourself are happy with, and without putting double reed switches in makes it near enough