LGB Mogul Traction Tires

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Ok. Ran my new LGB Mogul for the first time a couple of days ago. The traction tire totally disintegrated,leaving a hard residue of some sort behind. It didn't seem to have any effect on the running of the loco as the wheels didn't slip. It was hauling a heavy consist of 10 cars. So, should I replace the traction tire, or just forget about it and run my train as it currently is?
Thanks guys!
Andrew

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I assume 'new' is a relative term? - Sounds like it had perished.

Many people run without them, as they are not aware their loco had them in the first place.
Personally, I replace them, but that is more because I came into this branch of the hobby as an installer/repairer, so do it automatically.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
It was built by LGB in February of 2000 and sold to me as NOS on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. There was no evidence of wear on the wheels when I received it last week. Very clean. The traction tire was black and appeared pristine. It only took it about 15 minutes of running before it came apart .I guess that it must have been rotten due to age? Would you know who is a reliable source that stocks these traction tires?
Thanks,Phil!
Andrew

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
It's perished. They go hard and break apart. I'd say definitely replace the tyres, otherwise you're running with a grooved wheel which will collect dirt.

As you're in the USA, how about these guys, they appear to stock the various sizes - so make sure you order the correct size for the Mogul (46mm size?)

All About LGB

Last edited:

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I found these on Ebay LGB 69184 TRACTION TIRE SET OF 5 PIECES 46.5 MM BRAND NEW OPEN STOCK CHRISTMAS | eBay but I'm a little confused now. I found several traction tires in the proper diameter, however, they are skinny, and the wheel that takes the tire has a wide grove. Indeed,the pdf I have for this loco(#23191 https://www.lgbworld.com/service_manuals/23191-1.PDF ) shows a wide traction tire that looks like a rubber band in the illustration. So, which is it? Do they no longer make the proper tire for this unit? Or do these flatten out when installed on the wheel?
Thanks guys!
Andrew

Last edited:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the tyres sometimes come looking like flat rings but will kind of "roll over" to fill the groove.

#23191 - the first "proper" LGB loco I ever bought, after my wife had bought me a Lehman Toytrain Fantasy set as a bit of fun!

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice train! I think I found the answer to my question: LGB E131368 (69184) Traction Tires, 46.5 mm (1.83 inches), 10 pieces .You get 10 of them, and they cost me $2.20 U.S. each after S&H was added . Best price that I could find and they are the current model tire from LGB for the mogul ! Hope they work!
And ,no, I will not be running my mogul until the tires arrive ,and one is successfully installed on my loco. Better safe than sorry!
Thanks for the replies,guys !
Andrew

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
The tires arrived yesterday. They're a perfect fit. I see what you mean by "lay over". Kind of a pain to get on the rim,but finally got it done.

GR&IRR

Registered
7 Apr 2020
columbus oh
Best answers
The tires arrived yesterday. They're a perfect fit. I see what you mean by "lay over". Kind of a pain to get on the rim,but finally got it done.
I assume that one removes the drive link from the wheel and then attempt to roll the tire into the groove? This site is NOT user friendly so I may never see your response now a year later. Too many false links.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Yes. You have to remove the front screw holding the drive rod onto the rim in order to get the traction tire to go on. It's not hard. Just go slow. The LGB Mogul uses the 46.5 mm tire.
Andrew