LGB Mogul risen from the ashes

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
e3ff97f1627c4ae49fd553a938e0c7a8.jpg

672dde08aaef43e78eefb5aa75cef259.jpg

Thought it about time I posted details and pics of this project.
A few weeks ago I was fortunate enough to buy a whole collection of large scale stuff from a local guy who was giving up.As a parting shot he said 'you might as well have this loco as a friend tried to repair it and left it in bits'
The loco is an old LGB Mogul and the 'bits' were a collection of parts,wires and assorted stuff floating around in a box.It was the red loco with naff bendy plastic hand rails and bright gilt trims.
Two weeks later and 'Phoenix' has risen from the ashes,the only thing left to do is to get some script onto the tender to letter it for the railroad.
First off I binned the circuit board and rewired the motor block,retaining the skates as power would no longer be collected fro the tender wheels.
The foot boards were clad in scribed wood and stained and the loco finished in what paint I had at the time.GWR coach brown along with a green and some red.The driving wheels have been lined out in red on the spokes and the rest of the lining is gold,done with a paint pen.
Lube lines have been added to run to the valve chests and new flag holders fitted to the pilot.Hand rail supports are the original LGB cut from the handrails,drilled through with brass wire added as the new rails.The bell has had a lever added along with an operating cord cut from a cast off guitar string(A fender bullit 10).
The c****y moulded wood load was trashed and replaced with split twigs of the real thing and Big Jim and Little Jim added as crew.
The result, a reasonable looking Cooke mogul which runs well.Wouldn't mind doing another if the chance comes along it was a lot of fun.
Hope you like the pics
Regards
David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
That's a nice looking loco David....

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
You've really brought that back to life - well done.