markrussell1966

I Love Live Steam
24 Nov 2013
Worcestershire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I need to replace the traction tyres on my LGB Mikado but I cannot find any anywhere. Can anybody recommend somewhere that might have some?
Thanks,
Mark

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How many do you need??
Mark will not miss out, as I get mine from him, but if you only need one or two, you may not want a pack of ten!

I service / repair, so have stock, and will supply singly to Members, if asked.
PhilP.

markrussell1966

I Love Live Steam
24 Nov 2013
Worcestershire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
How many do you need??
Mark will not miss out, as I get mine from him, but if you only need one or two, you may not want a pack of ten!

I service / repair, so have stock, and will supply singly to Members, if asked.
PhilP.
Hi Philip I need just 2 if you have them. Let me know how much by PM and your email address and I can paypal to you.
Thanks
Mark

goneloco

Registered
6 Aug 2012
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Am currently having the same problem sourcing replacement traction tyres for my LGB Mikado and have been told the Piko part 36042 for their BR 64 is for the same diameter drive wheel, can anyone confirm the Piko BR 64 has a 54.5 mm diameter drive wheel or has anyone fitted these parts to a LGB Mikado. The Piko parts appear readily available in Australia whereas LGB parts are not.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
IF you can't source the LGB ones..
Then USA Trains traction tyres are very stretchy, and will do the job..

Reactions: 1 user

goneloco

Registered
6 Aug 2012
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Have enquired to one LGB supplier in the US who lists them on there site as available, just wondered if anyone could confirm if the Piko ones are compatible.

Mallarddriver

Registered
9 Apr 2012
Skipton,UK
Best answers
Hello,
the Mikado wheels are only 46 mm so the Piko wheels won´t fit !

Best regards
Soeren

goneloco

Registered
6 Aug 2012
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,
the Mikado wheels are only 46 mm so the Piko wheels won´t fit !

Best regards
Soeren
I've measured the Mikado wheels at 54.5 mm dia but not sure of the Piko BR 64 as cannot find any spec regarding wheel size. The LGB replacement part number 22872-142 for the Mikado states it is 54.5 mm dia. Just wondered if anyone knows the diameter of the Piko BR 64 wheel

i Mikado tyre.png

Mallarddriver

Registered
9 Apr 2012
Skipton,UK
Best answers
Hello,
ok there are different drive wheels for Mikados.
I´ll ask my friends at the Spassbahn forum but I guess the Piko wheels are 61 mm.

P.S. Info it´s 58 mm
Best regards
Soeren

Last edited:

goneloco

Registered
6 Aug 2012
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,
ok there are different drive wheels for Mikados.
I´ll ask my friends at the Spassbahn forum but I guess the Piko wheels are 61 mm.

P.S. Info it´s 58 mm
Best regards
Soeren
Thanks for the info regarding the Piko wheels, it appears the tyres would be a loose fit on the Mikado wheel.
Best regards
Colin

goneloco

Registered
6 Aug 2012
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Did LGB make 3 different Mikados?

58 mm, 54.5 mm, and 46mm?????

Greg
Hi Greg, didn't realise there may be different models/sizes so have just checked the wheels with a vernier, the smaller dia inside the grooved section that retains the traction tyre is 54.5 mm and a max of 61 mm dia across the non drive wheels where they contact the rail. The model is a 2004 build from the date label underneath and was purchased recently as 'new condition'. Appears to be unused but the tyres have deteriorated in storage.
Regards
Colin

goneloco

Registered
6 Aug 2012
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Just received a set of Piko 38042 tyres from Pamak Hobbies in NSW who have been very helpful. They are smaller than the original tyre but fitted to the Mikado rim with a bit of stretching and appears to run ok and may be a feasible alternative to the LGB tyres, only limited testing at this stage as my layout requires a bit of maintenance due to the recent wet weather. Have just picked up a tonne of dolomite in my trailer from our local quarry, just waiting for it to dry up a bit.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Stretched tyres will be slimmer and will form a ridge between the rubber and the metal. Don't moan when you get unexpected derailments because we will have forgotten. How do I know?