LGB Locomotive 2010 (Stainz)

rookie

Railroading and travel
3 Feb 2010
Houston, Texas
Best answers
Can anybody advise where we might find any information regarding the service that should be completed on the subject locomotive?
We have two of these and we suspect this service is much past due.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well 
some considerations:
years old?
amount of running?  (you can often tell this from how worn the wheel treads and pick up skate appear)

your 2010 may have what called a clamshell motor case-if so-its a bit of a job to take it apart compared to later D style boxes (which have a D molded on the bottom )

i have purchased very old -10-12 or more years old unrun or lightly run locos-no worn parts 

they work fine-even with old grease-but new grease improves things

but 

2 major issues come to mind-fresh lubricant and removal of grime and collected old lube and dirt

simply, an older, well used loco can be taken apart, 
the wheels (tread surface and inside and outside edges can be cleaned and polished-i use a very fine non scratching metal polish -do not use anything course like steel wool-in a pinch a pencil eraser can also be used

new brushes can be fitted (if needed) (these protrude against each of the 4 wheels on the inside edge-they are sprung and care need to be taken when removing wheels to avoid launch and especially re-fitting behind wheels to avoid inadvertently guillotining and breaking the brush 

new pick up shoes can be fitted-these shoudl be ligthly sprung and travel freely

IF you remove the motor MIND the tiny thrust bearing seated in a pocket at each end of the motor shaft in the plastic housing (motor block) 

and the motor will have a small lug which seats it in the motor block -pay attention to this-otherwise things wont fit back together properly 

older wheels are hard to come by-the older wheel have screws into the axels-later ones are simply press fitted-they are not interchangable as i understand things

the traction tire can be carefully pulled out of its groove and cleaned with lighter fluid and replaced-or a new one installed-if very old and no replacement tire-leave it alone to avoid breaking it 

the best thing, on the older locos with simple electronics like your 2010.  is to simply clean parts, such as axles and drive gear, and other parts (not the electrical parts)   in a strong liquid detergent to remove all dirt and old lube-use a soft old toothbrush
(things not to use:lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol-both of which can damage the plastic if they stray from metal-havent tried mineral spirits but suspect it might be ok-)

rinse and thoroughly dry, re lube-

lgb grease is my preference, but labelle also makes a variety of model RR oils, as well as a top notch teflon grease-possibly better than LGB grease-the key is to do this sparingly -you want lubrication but you dont want it going anywhere else-lube the gears, the place where the axles touch the chassis, the rotational parts of the drive rods /gears-or better still for drive rods IMHO is dry graphite-it doesnt collect grime 

to do this, you should get an exploded diagram of the loco to guide you

work over a bench without interruption so you don't forget things 

use good light

it is essential to perfectly quarter the wheels on each side of the loco before replacing the drive rods-ie the hole for the screw must be at exactly, say 12:00 oclock on one side and whatever (3 oclock?) on the other- if not properly quartered the engine may bind and slightly lurch-and you have to disassemble and get it right-not a disaster-just you have more work 

LGB never takes force to remove or to install any part-if it does its likely you havent fully understood how its assembled (take it from me)

make notes of what washers, screws  go where in what order etc (DO THIS-you cant believe how easy it is to forget)
if you have slipping gears--it may be a much bigger issue-if so, ask and ill try explain some considerations and pitfalls ive experienced) 
good luck and be bold

OTOH if it aint broke.............it is unlikely any real damage will be done with old lube 

im sure someone will provide a link to the exploded diagram-

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
does your stainz still run good? if yes, just dont touch it!
i have one, that is 40 years old. it has been run indoors and outdoors, been stowed away for years, been run again, stowed away, run...
the only service, it got was brushing or dusting, when necessary.
it still runs bettter than newer LGBs or other brands i have.

rookie

Railroading and travel
3 Feb 2010
Houston, Texas
Best answers
Steve-
Per your thoughts and some info - the first 2010 was purchased new in 1984 (2010 on the bottom) and the second new in 1994 (2010D on the bottom). Usage has been to run during the Christmas holiday's intermittently over a two/three week period - now going to the outside garden layout.
The orig 2010 has worn through the plating on the pickup skates but not so on the later unit.
As of today I have the the exploded diagram for both models
This is probaly more info than needed as the reason for this response was to thank you for your reply and per your suggestion I am boldly moving ahead.

rookie

Railroading and travel
3 Feb 2010
Houston, Texas
Best answers
I hope this message is presented as a intended to thank all of you for your comments and thoughts.

This is the first time using a forum such as this so please bear with me as I muck my way through.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
happy to have helped
last suggestion

i work over a clean white towel (one that you can spare as it WILL likely get oil stained) often-easy to see things and little dropped items things dont bounce as badly 

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Steve hit the high points of what you need. Welcome to the fourm, and welcome to the Mercedes 220D of large scale locos, ugly, but run and run and run and run....