LGB Jumbo 50100.

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Bad day at the black rock! My LGB Jumbo power unit has ceased working after many years of reliable service. It’s producing very low voltage and connected to a small loco just turns the wheels ever so slowly. I have spoken with Paul at P&S Hobbies who tells me in effect that these are no longer supported.

Just wondered if anyone has had problems and managed to find a local electronic technician who has managed to repair although I concede it might be difficult without internal circuit diagrams.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My friend in Watchet has one that has also gone ‘ceased working’ last year. Busy trying to get him to take the leap to all DCC. He does have the old Ruschbahn Massoth kit but a lot of non DCC Locomotives to convert.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, what is the recommendation? Now there are 2 guys with dead power supplies.

Personally I would try to fix it myself or throw it away, I fear paying someone to repair it would exceed it's value.

Greg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So, what is the recommendation? Now there are 2 guys with dead power supplies.

Personally I would try to fix it myself or throw it away, I fear paying someone to repair it would exceed it's value.

Greg
Well my mate bought an Gaugemaster, one of the big amp ones suitable for LGB. I am not even sure that you can get in to them easily. Pretty sure I looked earlier this year and they are sealed up tighter than an Alabama Tick.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,

After you, drilling out Jumbo's rivet! :eek: :tmi:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
(not sure how that will translate, across the water? ) :think:

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Drill a small hole in the rivet. A small screw a few turns in the hole & pull.
(I don't know about over the water but my spell check has converted the rivet into river.)

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know if this will help at all, but I came across a chap on flickr called SOUTHDOWN_STU, that as well as an obvious predilection for buses and coaches has seemingly opened up a jumbo at some point and helpfully took photos and made some useful comments.

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Addressing the original question a little more seriously..... no idea if you'd have any luck getting your Jumbo unit repaired (from the look of the pics of the internals, I would suspect not unless it's something very simple and obvious that has failed), but if you want a replacement analogue power unit then I'd recommend looking at the Helmsman range - very well made (in the UK), virtually bulletproof, and a lifetime guarantee.

Jon.

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. No progress on repair to date. I suspect the problem is to do with the power side rather than the controls. What was useful was the facility to control a passing loop automatically with soft start and stop something that was core to my Railway. Will need a rethink now. Jumbo will be missed but might pop the lid off for a quick look to see anything obvious.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought: If possible, I'd try disconnecting the power side from the control side and testing the output voltages / amperage.
If it does turn out to be on the power side maybe it would be possible to run it from a separate power supply via a suitable socket / plug connector, in the manner of some of the older LGB controllers. Obviously you'd need to put some form of fuse / trip protection between the socket and the control board. I assume that there would be both an AC and DC secondary voltage. So you'd need a compatible transformer.
If the system is currently non functional, it may be a way to retain the functions you require.
Paul.
NB; If you try this make sure the transformer is not holding a residual charge. If the transformer has an earth connection to the 3 pin plug, the best way is to plug it into the wall socket with the power OFF for a few hours. I made up a lead with a 3 pin earthed socket connected to a single earth cable (No live or neutral cables.) ending with a big croc clip to connect to a known earth. I use this to ensure any residual charge can go to ground WITHOUT going through me. (Path of least resistance etc.)

Last edited:

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I decided to take the bull by the horns and dismantle the Jumbo. I tested the transformer and rectifier and this was giving the correct A.C and D.C voltages. Looked carefully over the circuit boards to see any signs of burning etc and made sure that all the spade connections were tight. Put it back together and hey presto it’s working again. Haven’t got a clue what I have done. On soak test for an hour now and seems fine. Some pictures of the inside the connection end is the transformer rectifierthe front end is all the control gubbins. Shame no one has an internal circuit diagram as I think they would be repairable.

Attachments

• 1E499C06-5AAF-437E-80B7-1494B66F4A16.jpeg
    1E499C06-5AAF-437E-80B7-1494B66F4A16.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 25F78EB2-8110-4E1F-BA70-0F70EB090C56.jpeg
    25F78EB2-8110-4E1F-BA70-0F70EB090C56.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 9B157055-4054-4592-92BC-B74DE8405241.jpeg
    9B157055-4054-4592-92BC-B74DE8405241.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 759DAB20-65AD-4B2E-87C3-B3ADB2843A90.jpeg
    759DAB20-65AD-4B2E-87C3-B3ADB2843A90.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 0
  • EC1D7A1F-2F79-4E96-8748-E1E52C341516.jpeg
    EC1D7A1F-2F79-4E96-8748-E1E52C341516.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1FCA0981-1E76-4AC2-BFEF-16F0AB52E7A1.jpeg
    1FCA0981-1E76-4AC2-BFEF-16F0AB52E7A1.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 0

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I decided to take the bull by the horns and dismantle the Jumbo. I tested the transformer and rectifier and this was giving the correct A.C and D.C voltages. Looked carefully over the circuit boards to see any signs of burning etc and made sure that all the spade connections were tight. Put it back together and hey presto it’s working again. Haven’t got a clue what I have done. On soak test for an hour now and seems fine. Some pictures of the inside the connection end is the transformer rectifierthe front end is all the control gubbins. Shame no one has an internal circuit diagram as I think they would be repairable.

Result! :D

Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds very like one of the Spade Connectors has gong into ‘No Contact’ mode. Perhaps just moved slightly when being moved about. Will be telling my mate to try the same trick.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
congrats! We have a saying here - "sometimes it's better to be lucky than good"

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all
Great to see a repair at no cost, well done you. On the same subject.....if anyone has a jumbo that has died and they would considering selling the main body, please let me know. My jumbo was dropped many moons ago, it still works but the case is a mess.
Kev:)

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all
Great to see a repair at no cost, well done you. On the same subject.....if anyone has a jumbo that has died and they would considering selling the main body, please let me know. My jumbo was dropped many moons ago, it still works but the case is a mess.
Kev:)
Hi Kev

I spoke to Paul at P&S models at Scarborough when I was initially seeking repairs he told me he had a defunct one in his basement. Worth an email to see if he would sell you a spare body.

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Kev

I spoke to Paul at P&S models at Scarborough when I was initially seeking repairs he told me he had a defunct one in his basement. Worth an email to see if he would sell you a spare body.
Thank you, I certainly will.
Kev