LGB info needed

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
I'm looking for someone who knows their LGB coaches. I'm looking at a set of 3 of 3097, 3098, and 3099. I'd like to know when these coaches were manufactured to and from, and in what sort of quantity (approx), where they limited edition, what they would have cost new, and what one would expect to pay for a set in as new condition? My limited understanding of LGB part numbers, a 4 digit number makes them quite old? In which case, is it likely that a set of these could be unused, in mint condition?

I look forward to your help. :)

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Re:LGB info needed

Andy these were in fact a limited edition and came from a set comprising a U class Loco in grey and the three coaches, they were USA only and were commisioned by the importer for LGB back in the 80's. They come up on eBay USA quite a bit I have 9 of the coaches!! They are a nice coach and well worth getting..................Paul..................

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

There were 3 of these available on Ebay (UK) recently. I posted the link to them where a one of our happy band was watching a Blue Mallet and Coaches Set. Look in the Ebay watch section forum. They are finished now but did not sell. They had a starting bid of £399 with no other bids so remained unsold. You may get a bit of luck by logging into Ebay and trying to contact the guy:-
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bmtc2009/ < Link To bmtc2009
He may be willing to sell at or around that price, I do not know for sure just surmising for you. He listed tham as follows:-
LGB ORIENT EXPRESS COACH SET. Very Rare + BRAND NEW [/h1]
Good luck and please post us how you got on.
JonD

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers

andyspencer said:
I'm looking for someone who knows their LGB coaches. I'm looking at a set of 3 of 3097, 3098, and 3099. I'd like to know when these coaches were manufactured to and from, and in what sort of quantity (approx), where they limited edition, what they would have cost new, and what one would expect to pay for a set in as new condition? My limited understanding of LGB part numbers, a 4 digit number makes them quite old? In which case, is it likely that a set of these could be unused, in mint condition?

I look forward to your help. :)

To expand on what Minimans posted....

The sets were ordered by REA, LGB's US distributor of the time in 1987. Per the Roth and Doggett book, there were a total of 1500 sets comissioned from LGB in Germany for the US market. The official set number was 20277.

There were apparently some cars/boxes damaged, and some sets were split up. Yes, LGB gave each car a number, but they were not technically cataloged that way.

They are just repaints of the 3062 type Austrian steel cars. They do come up from sale somewhat regularly, so I would wait and I would not spend "silly" money, at least here in the US. They may be harder to find in the UK for the reasons I listed.

I honestly cannot say what they sold for new, but I could try and get you an answer by going through some older magazines from the US to see if they are listed if you are still interested.

Hope this helps?

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers

Dunno Brian, just an error that pops up every time I try and post my pic.....maybe I should just post a pic of Murray Saul or the like?

Steve, one often wonders about such things.

What backs such statements is you can still buy parts or entire cars of the 1981-1985 set, Schwieger (SP?) sets, and the 1985 set often miss-sold as a "Christmas" set today. Ditto with the Holland cars and a few others.

In fact, I wager it is easier to find a "limted" edition car on eBay over a standard 3007 or the like from the same era in many cases.

If Jack Barton were still on GSC, I am sure he would chime in and give further backing as to why this is.