LGB frog wear

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
hi korm,

its no bad work for a "smith" :-
i dont know if i could do it...easily like this.....wow.

Your axle-gear-stacks (red) are fine! LOL
That reminds me of a visit on a narrow gauge RR here in my area.
They worked on a passenger-car-truck, and it looked like some kind of a bycicle, not like a Railway-part.
I was wondering about ant the chief there said something very accurate:

"if they would have built it like on the "big" RR, they would have to build a "big" RR."

Many things we see are made for heavy load and often for high speeds.
Small RR or "Feldbahnen" (whats that in english?) shows us the roots:
easy, simple and straight.

Like it!

Frank

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
It has to be said some people have found problems with Aristrocraft points as well, and peco. Maybe if there was a standards list for things like wheels, that all Manfactures used problem would be solved. Looking at the new thomas range, same could be said for coupling height. But, comparing to 00 gauge production numbers are smaller, so re-tooling takes more time to recoup. I do agree, however, that Maybe LGB (and others) should/ should of have listened to customer feed back more. However, look at Roundhouse people wanted a modern Pooter loco, they made it but it didn't sell well.

p.s started to see Piko R3 on ebay, and looking at the R1 points they do they are the same as the LGB ones so maybe they should have taken the chance to update things? But the gard rail on their R3's look longer....

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
coyote97 said:
@miniman

perhaps its a bit overdone what i said. Perhaps my opinions are basing on experiences i made that many other didnt.
AND i mixed up some things: the question was how to get rid of the problem, and not why the problem with the worn frog appeared.

Why do i become so upset while talking about those things?

In the last years, i saw a lot of companys in Germany go down just because their unbelievable arrogance. Manufaturers of machines, tools, textiles lost orders and money just by saying: (just to proof what i mean with arrogance)

"we did that for the last 30 years like this, so the strategy cant be bad for the next 30"

"the customers should take what we offer"

"in the last 17 Years, NO faulty part has left my house"

In the model-railroad-branch there was another bad influence: the customers were divided in a mass-market and premium-market (what is not that bad basically).
But the effect was fatal:
simple mass-production-products rose in price for more than 200% innert 7 or 8 Years. Why? "Customers demand more details, so we changed the rod-coating from chrome to nicle"... a joke, but true.
They needed the money to
1.) pay their managers (when märklin went insolvent, the mangers had an earning from annualized 700-1000 Euro an hour!
2.) pay for prestige-projects for just a few premium-premium-premium- customers.

As a result, they sold expensive mass-ware with toy-charakter and super-expensive premium-ware in low amounts with many technical problems (because of the teething troubles).

Another (oposite)example, another branch: Porsche
When Mr. Wiedeking entered the company (he didnt make many faults, but his one an final!!) he checked the company and found out some interesting things:
the "cheap" 928-series (folks porsche) brought NO money, and the prestige-projekt 959 (what was a great car--no question) made costs of over 2 mio. DM per car. And was sold for just about 500.000.
He threw out all those bad projects and found a line: premium products for a premium market....not just for a handfull off super-riches.
Before, it was a "managing beside the market"

This is, what makes me so upset.
And especially in the Tracks question with LGB.

Makingt the guardrail a bit longer and a bit more precise (all that could be done in the original tool) could have made those switches work MUCH better.

But the calling for years and years to change that hit just dumb ears. And so the most important part of the customers began to search after alternatives....like me: the ones "between": we want valuable models of good quality and a customers service. An open ear.
"THE RICH" werent enough to make much money, "THE POOR" ever just bought starter kits, whats even not enough to make money.

And like this, a company goes down......but LESS companies made that against the (loud shouted) advice of their most reliable advisor: their customers.

LGB did.
Märklin did.

THATS why im so upset.

So, btw, it is some kind of "Off topic", i confess.....

Frank

I see your point and passion Frank, it is almost an exact parrallel of the demise of the British car industry in GT Britain! Even my beloved Rolls-Royce were not immune, I think it's all down to big short term profits to get more investment capital, when the profits are shown to be comming from stuffing the supply chain with unsold product it all collapses. unfortunatly it seems to be a modern day practice in ALL field's including banking..................................................Paul..........

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
no question, paul, its not just a matter of G-scale suppliers!

But its so shortsighted!
For a market with a limited capacity, u need a FITTING strategy. Expanding is limited, and to set on an expanding strategy in a limited market....every child knows that the glas is empty when the milk is drunken.
Thats just silly.

btw: do U know why the LGB switches have curved frogs?
What they once said was "the geometry would get too complicated for children"--LOL. Everyone knows that children are building in switches wherever they want and HOWever they want to. When there are 10mm missing ---just pull a little bit and it fits.
No. the reason is simple:
They have a "push-in-the-outer-rail" automat, that only can push in completely curved rails. Point. They know that it would be better to have a straight frog, but in more than 40 years they didnt develop a technique to push in differenty shaped rails. Thats all.

But back to the problem:
replacing the frog and tightening and lengthening the guardrail would be all u can do...and there is not really much more to do to get a good switch.

In the end, i have to confess that even LGB switches are better than what i would fumble with making my own. Even though i am on to built a stub switch...when it works, i´ll try it as a product.

but...from another sight...even THIS works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvQhkl3FoCY Frank

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
OH! what a great video, note the wide and deep flanges!! I bet the Health and safety people havn't been invented there yet and the manual catenary is superb..........................................