LGB FOUR WHEELED COACHES

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I know this has been discussed in the past. LGB four wheeled coaches of the type supplied in starter sets, is the topic today. I converted the ones I have to eight wheel versions. I simply placed the bodies on LGB eight wheeled chassis from the eight wheeled American types.

The swiveling bogies on four wheeled cars sometimes derail at the last axle of the last car. I think this is due to the fact that there is nothing pulling on that axle keeping it straight or near straight.

My four wheeled ToyTrain rolling stock has been given the rigid treatment. I drilled a hole through the swiveling plate and inserted a screw so that the bogie would have very minimal play.

In the past I have had LGB 300mm coaches riding on four wheels without any modification. Once in awhile they would derail at certain points on my line.

I'm thinking of trying some four wheeled coaches again, of the 300mm variety. If they cause trouble this time, I will stifle the movement of the bogies.

What are your thoughts and experiences with these types of rolling stock ?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I use quite a few 4 wheel wagons, both the LGB 300mm wagons and the Toytrain ones. I have not modified the trucks and they still swivel. I do fit steel wheels though.

I have R1 curves on part of the layout, but my minimum on the main loop is R2.

Like you, I've fitted bogie chassis to a Matra crane and a couple of Container flats. I seem to recall I stole the idea from you Dan....

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I find the "coupling rods" effective. These connect the swivelling axles so one follows the other, then as long as one end is coupled the other will follow. There's a chap in Switzerland makes them for various distance between axles but you could make them yourself once you see the idea. I wrote a review about them recently, let me see if I can find it.

EDIT here: Installing LGB Container Wagon Wheel Set Control Kit - G Scale Central

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A stiff broom will supply you with individual bristles you can use a bristle as a return spring to centre the axle.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
I know this has been discussed in the past. LGB four wheeled coaches of the type supplied in starter sets, is the topic today. I converted the ones I have to eight wheel versions. I simply placed the bodies on LGB eight wheeled chassis from the eight wheeled American types.

The swiveling bogies on four wheeled cars sometimes derail at the last axle of the last car. I think this is due to the fact that there is nothing pulling on that axle keeping it straight or near straight.

My four wheeled ToyTrain rolling stock has been given the rigid treatment. I drilled a hole through the swiveling plate and inserted a screw so that the bogie would have very minimal play.

In the past I have had LGB 300mm coaches riding on four wheels without any modification. Once in awhile they would derail at certain points on my line.

I'm thinking of trying some four wheeled coaches again, of the 300mm variety. If they cause trouble this time, I will stifle the movement of the bogies.

What are your thoughts and experiences with these types of rolling stock ?
I have been using these, including two 1977 starter set versions with one-way couplings, in four-car trains with no modifications to the plastic-wheel trucks. They perform reliably on a less-than-ideal (errant camber, rough rail joints, etc) dog bone with r2 loops. I find that the slightly longer 4 wheelers (open sightseeing wagons, for example) can be far more troublesome. More often than not, derailing vehicles are improved by adjusting the wheel gauge or improving the track alignment/camber. However, I do not do any switching or back-up moves because of electronic configuration of my setup.