LGB Feldbahn loc 20910 drive gear vs 25910

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a 'broken' 20910 with worn gears as the seller told me. For € 25,- I couldn't resits the try.

I still have to receive it (will be the week after this week probably) but I started looking for how the gears work on these. I've seen belt driven, presumably in a 20910.
The current 25910 is fully gear driven?

Are parts for the 20910 still available? Current owner didn't spent much time on research as he couldn't find the required parts easily.

Are 25910 parts usable?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
All the old Feldbahn locos (steam and diesel) had the belt drive, but the latest versions have dispensed with the belt and replaced it with a lengthways propshaft using bevel gears on each end and on the axles.

I don't know if it is possible to put the new axles and driveshaft directly into an old-type belt drive gearbox - I think it may not be, because other things have changed too (including the actual motor type and shape). However I think that a complete new type gearbox/motor assembly will fit under the body of an old-type loco.

If it is the drive belt (or the gears that the belt runs on) that has failed on your little diesel, I do believe it is possible to simply remove the belt and make the loco rear-axle-drive-only, as the front axle will be turned by the side rods....?

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, that looks good, Henri!
When you swap the axles over, be very careful to check the "quartering" on the side rods - if you can, I would make a TDC (Top Dead Centre) mark on the wheels of both axles, to ensure that they are both correctly aligned when they go back in, otherwise you could have problems with the side rods binding up in certain positions. As long as you get the alignment right, you should be OK....

Good luck!

Jon.