LGB Drovers 4075 re-do

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Inside the back of the 2005 LGB catalogue was a nice partial peep at a repainted DSP mogul and a 4075 'drovers caboose' (it wasnt a drovers caboose at all-it was a combine with a cupola added for mixed train service to Pagosa Springs) 

i have alway loved this car since i first purchased it many years ago-a caboose for a freight train or -a one car train-with the potential for intersting lighting (the originals were not lighted at all)

as with so many things LGB-there's always a hint of the real somewhere in their fantasy- boondoggle US livery schemes- 

for instance the number is correct, and the large D&RGW logo between the numbers is also correct (for another later incarnation of the 215 post cupola removal)-

also the red color-so US caboose -was also rooted in reality -unbeknownst to me sorta close but no ceegar-to me DRGW passenger equipment was usually green-and so i thought the Pagosa Springs car

-i was really taken with the subtle and dramatic difference shown in the photo at the back of the 2005 catalog-suddenly the car, with black roof and tuscan paint-looked plausible -like US railroad equipment

So having duplicate 4075s-and one red drovers combine with silver roof is enough, thank you 

I tried my hand after seeing an article about the DRGW #215 'Pagosa Spring' car-a real, properly proportioned  model version on the MLS site-and learning a great deal of the build and painting history of the actual car-didnt have express baggage decals that woudl fit the areas available without more extensive rework-so i passed on this detail -it would have required filling windows-more work than i waned to expend 

mine is a can re spray using plastic compatible paint and some numbers that were close
the DRG letting on the fascia is original and will match other LGB DRG coaches-doesnt look too bad -but its certainly not correct as iv done it, as you can see by comparing the photo below with mine

This is one photo of a model of the prototype at one point-about 1936-not DRG tuscan but rather a box car paint-probably due combined factors of the long discontinued use of Tuscan on coaches (it had been pullman green for some years)  and the Depression era  

215_Pagosa_Red_LH_Frnt-ic-2.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
original-i use stage lighting gels to color the clear rear lamp lens green where appropos-looks real-just trim and cram into the lantern-not visible here tho

this was the FIRST US style caboose to allow for tail lights that lighted
up until 1988 they only had had the dummy lanterns on the 4065 

-in essence the equivalent to a 3019 for those of us who love red lights in the dark when operating-pretty exciting for me back then

lgb 
IMG_0391.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
and the re-painted brother 

this pic looks more brown than it is-its very Tuscan red
while i love lights-i passed on the cupola light -so it would fit in the box-and so i would not have to drill the cupola roof-plus while an LGB mogul square headlight would look great-it too involved a bit more fuss than i wanted-with the issue of tabs and the need for a two direction lens (fore and aft)  etc-this may change at some point -but being impatient i just shot it up -decaled and clear coated and waited for it to cure a few days before re-assembly-will probably weather the running boards and trucks and some other details at some point

It has a bit of interior paint as well-one gets carried away in the process--toilet,  water tank (both silver), interior wood and table-(a lighter oak) and -deep royal purple cushions-(close but no cigar to the velvet used on coaches of the period -its what i had in the paint box) -painted the cabinets with step insets  to the cupola a primer grey-just for contrast and interest-no prototype basis 

to me the black roof alone will transform the LGB coaches with silver roofs-as only the DRG aspen gold liveries had these, to my knowledge

i tired to get it to be compatible with other LGB items while still looking more railroady-should look nice with my SRRL 24 too-
IMG_0393.jpg

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Looking good Steve; that brown paint gives it a much more workaday appearance. However I note you've fitted the cupola's roof the other way round from the original. Now the stove is right in the way of getting freight aboard, instead of being in the centre of the car where the passengers could share a bit of the warmth. Hope it's not stuck down!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
good eye-ill turn it around-

i had thought it was merely some kind of roof vent rather than a chimney

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
The bit on the cupola? Lantern vent for interior light in cupola....

Chimney is to the right.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Spule 4 said:
The bit on the cupola? Lantern vent for interior light in cupola.... Chimney is to the right.
Just had another look. Yes, it was my eyesight - thought I could see a vertical pipe inside the cupola running down into the freight compartment. Many apologies, Steve.

In recompense I'm posting a shot of my drover caboose. Please feel free to make adverse comments!

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Wow, nice little compact caboose. I like the weathered green color also.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
actually as i understand things -

there were no interior lanterns or lights within the cupola in order to faciliate night vision

in fact i have been told by a former trainman that cabooses were kept rather dimly lighted at night-perhaps an oil lamp near a desk   

c and s i like your version muchly