LGB chip

Digger

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Gt Yarmouth
Best answers
Country flag
Like most people I`ve got a LGB passenger starter set with a stainz loco back in 2006
It has a direct interface for mts decoder installation
I would like to know which decoder to use
Is it the 55021 mts loco decoder II or 55022 mts for small loco decoder or even the 55027 mts loco decoder III
I do have the 55006 mts control station III that I got with the digital starter set

Can anyone help please and is it easy to install

Thanks

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Digger - 25/11/2009 3:11 PM

Like most people I`ve got a LGB passenger starter set with a stainz loco back in 2006
It has a direct interface for mts decoder installation
I would like to know which decoder to use
Is it the 55021 mts loco decoder II or 55022 mts for small loco decoder or even the 55027 mts loco decoder III
I do have the 55006 mts control station III that I got with the digital starter set

Can anyone help please and is it easy to install

Thanks

If it's a direct decoder interface, then you want the 55021 or Massoth's cheaper and better equivalent, the 8154001. Since Massoth make LGB's decoders, you might as well save some dosh and use their own brand kit! Here's a link to the item on Dragon G Scale's site (price is before the G Scale Central 5% discount):
http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/massoth-8154001-emotion-l-locomotive-decoder-2239-p.asp

The Stainzmeister tells us that he can fit a decoder in under 15 minutes, but he's an expert. To me, the Stainz is not the easiest loco to access for chipping: too many bits to disassemble. However, it is straightforward, provided you are methodical.

Here's the exploded diagrams for your loco, which may either help or horrify you!
http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_produktdatenbank/medien.nsf/medien/2C9B9D04A8C836D405256CBC006BBE0D/$FILE/23211-1.PDF

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Stainzmeister - 25/11/2009 5:17 PM
This should help too. Take your time............

http://waltonsofaltrincham.co.uk/guide-lgb-stainz.php

Cracking link Stainzmeister. Waltons must have upped their LGB line quite a bit since I lived in the area 15 years ago! Nice people there: a good old family run business. :)

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Great link Paul.

I recommend the Massoth eMotion L decoder, a direct replacement for the LGB 55021 & 55020 decoders, and as whatlep says its cheeper too.

Digger

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Gt Yarmouth
Best answers
Country flag
thanks paul a fantastic link one of the best one I`ve seen
and thanks to everyone else for your help too

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
Does the Massoth decoder have the 11 pins on the board to directly fit into the onboard circuit board? And is it's functionality identical to that of the 55021? Incidentally I've used the Waltons link several times - it's excellent reference no matter how many times you fit a decoder.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
12 minutes - fair play Paul that's pretty quick :applause: :applause:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
whatlep - 25/11/2009 8:06 PM
Stainzmeister - 25/11/2009 5:17 PM This should help too. Take your time............ http://waltonsofaltrincham.co.uk/guide-lgb-stainz.php
Cracking link Stainzmeister. Waltons must have upped their LGB line quite a bit since I lived in the area 15 years ago! Nice people there: a good old family run business. :)
</p><p>Walton's is my local model shop.</p><p>They are still very nice people to deal with but they have scaled down their LGB to almost nothing. :( </p>

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
My stainz took about an hour and a half to do - I've only done the one - that's my excuse at least!

Getting the thing to bits and back together was the difficulty for me - that and pulling the wire out of the cab light, which needed re-soldering :mad:

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
While on the subject of fitting a 8154001 to a Stainz I have just done this and followed the Waltons instructions which are very good. Not sure how I would have got on without them.
I have a slight problem however. The loco responds to DCC ok but the headlight does not work when you turn it on or off. It does sometimes flash when the loco moves. The bulb is OK and I had a second decoder and it did the same with that so I have concluded that there is no problem with the lamp.
I read in the Massoth book which comes with the decoder something to do with the speed.
I am using an NCE Procoab abd Bachmann EZ Command Booster.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Martin

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Flashing headlight as you change speed is normally a sign that your decoder is set to 14 speed steps but your command station is trying to use 28 speed steps. The decoder is misinterpreting the speed command (in 14 step mode, the control flag for the light is part of the speed step instruction sent down the rails to the decoder, but in 28/128 speed step mode the headlight is a separate instruction)

If you're using an NCE system, that normally defaults to 28 speed steps. On my ProCab there's a button to choose 28 or 128 speed steps but I can't remember how to choose 14 speed steps (I'll have to look it up). I don't use 14 speed step mode for any of my decoders.

Better still, reprogram the decoder to run at 28 or 128 speed steps - you'll get better control. How you go about this depends on the method you use to program your decoders. You need to turn on one of the bits in CV29. It's a lot easier with a PC and hardware/software such as the LGB programmer or SPROG & JMRI combination.

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Thanks for this. I will give it a try. I will set the decoder to 28. Reading the Massoth info (very detailed) it indicates that if set to 128 the decoder would automatically detect it. I set the speed steps to 128 but still no light control. I will have to experiment further and set decoder to 28.

Thanks again. I will come back with the results.

Martin

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Martin
decoders auto-detect 28 or 128 speed steps, but not 14. So choosing 28/128 on the Procab won't make the light work if the decoder is set to 14 steps.
Damned if I can find how to get the Procab to use 14 steps? The manual says the button cycles around the 3 possible settings, but it doesn't seem to get it to show "SP:014" on mine. As I said in previous post, I don't use 14 step mode anyway. All except very old decoders should understand 28 steps (eg. I think old LGB 55020 MTS 1 decoders only support 14 steps, but I don't have any of those decoders).

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Nick,

Took your advice and changed the CV and everything worked ok. Thanks for the help.

Martin