LGB cf Aristo points

Geoff the garden nav

Aristocraft locos & rolling stock, mid C20th to co
31 Oct 2009
Leicester, UK
Best answers
That does help, the check rails don't really have a wing, they are parallel to the running rail just chamfered off at either end.
The rails are stapled and soldered into place on each sleeper. Will try a bit of de soldering and bending the of ends in to make a wing. They are also rather short, complete replacement of the check rails may be the only answer will see, thank you.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Geoff the garden nav - 5/11/2009 11:56 PM

That does help, the check rails don't really have a wing, they are parallel to the running rail just chamfered off at either end.
The rails are stapled and soldered into place on each sleeper. Will try a bit of de soldering and bending the of ends in to make a wing. They are also rather short, complete replacement of the check rails may be the only answer will see, thank you.

The big issue with LGB R3s is that the check rail is not long enough, and, from the facing edge, starts much too close to the frog IMHO.

There comes a point ('scuse the pun) with model points (turnouts) where you have to compromise with scale, and make something that will take a substantially out of scale wheel profile.

I'm not a boffin, but I was lucky enough as a teenager to be given the Railway Modeller each month, and it was during this time that Protofour came on the scene, with a lot of useful explanations. :bighug:

Like the fact that on 1:1 trains, the wheel flanges don't do anything to keep the trains on the track, that's all down to the wheel profile; the only time the wheel flanges are used is when the back of the flange grinds on to a check rail. So you also get check rails on tight radius curves :eek:

On our model trains, the flange also does all the work of keeping the wheel on the track, and therefore is massively out of scale. :yawn: :yawn:

That's why points that work well also need to be substantially overscale in certain places.

Ah well, that's today's lesson over :rofl: :rofl:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The big issue with LGB R3s is that the check rail is not long enough

Thats a bit worrying as it suggests a design fault :eek:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M - 6/11/2009 10:35 AM

The big issue with LGB R3s is that the check rail is not long enough

Thats a bit worrying as it suggests a design fault :eek:

That's what I've been suggesting for the last three or four years :yawn:

Brought about by the fact that a short wheelbase LGB loco (USA 2-4-0) regularly smacked the end of the check rail every time it went round the facing curve of the point.

Result - LGB Fat Boy and LGB R3 both sold and banished to outer darkness :D :D

Geoff the garden nav

31 Oct 2009
Leicester, UK
Best answers
Design fault or just a compromise, I run mainly metal wheels of various makes, the ware seems mostly to be on the treads no doubt the flanges do a significant job. I remember TV documentaries in the 1970's about the British HST, talking about the crucial roll of rail profile, preventing hunting of the wheels / axle allowing stable high speed running. No doubt for G Scale with the given mass and velocity for the scale, different factors dominate compared to 1:1. Tenmille points which are not electrically isolating (bit of a problem) have prototypical lengths check rails which are sprung, 2 bolts with springs around which space them and give a bit of resilience, they float and have a bit of give, a good idea? not prototypical but part of the answer?

Geoff the garden nav

31 Oct 2009
Leicester, UK
Best answers
See attached photos, hopefully of Tenmillie points with sprung check rails for information, and to see if I can successfully post a photo!

Dieseldonkey

Registered
16 Mar 2010
Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Best answers
Hi,

I'm in early stages of layout construction. So deciding on points is something I'm looking at. However I've never heard of the manufacturer The Train Line, thats mentioned in some replies in this forum. Do they have a website. Noting for G scale comes up on google. Are these points a good cost alternative to LGB/Piko/Aristocraft. Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks
David

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Dieseldonkey said:
Hi,

I'm in early stages of layout construction. So deciding on points is something I'm looking at. However I've never heard of the manufacturer The Train Line, thats mentioned in some replies in this forum. Do they have a website. Noting for G scale comes up on google. Are these points a good cost alternative to LGB/Piko/Aristocraft. Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks
David

I don't think they have an English language website.
Glendale junction supply them in the U.K. A link to the relevant page of their web site is below.
http://www.glendalejunction.co.uk/TrainLine45_BrassPoints.html < Link To http://www.glendalejuncti...ine45_BrassPoints.html

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't used Train Line points but I have some of their stainless steel track and it is excellent. it came with one strange "feature", the rail joiners were opposite hand to LGB and all the other makes of track!
Easily remedied but very odd.