LGB-Aster restoration

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have been asked to sort out a limited edition LGB-Aster Garratt..
Looks like it has been stored in a garage/shed for some of its 20+ years and the damp has slightly got to it.

The running-board / chassis and many of the parts at that level are steel, and a certain amount of rusting has broken through the (satin black?) paintwork. So far, all I have done is clean-down the loco, and look into freeing the motion. - Two of the pony-trucks were either very tight, or totally seized.
I think it is better to keep things 'as original', but would welcome others thoughts on this? - I could rub-down the rusted areas. Touch in with primer/surface, and then repaint. Think this could be a nightmare to only get paint where it should be! ;)

The other area of concern is the cast 'brass?' fittings and copper boiler-bands..
The castings have been left with a slightly rough finish (not highly polished) and I am not convinced they are really 'brass'. - They have 'mellowed' and now appear almost as if a dodgy gold-colour. My thoughts are I will not to able to get in all the nooks and crannies to polish these up, even if it was a good idea in the first place!

So far, I have started sorting the running gear. Only appears the two pony trucks are a problem. Getting into the motor-blocks would appear to be a nightmare, as I would have to remove all the added detail to get into them.
No skates, so wheel-backs cleaned up. Tyres and flanges polished-up to aid pickup as well. Seems to run nicely, even at a crawl (on rollers).

Body / Paintwork:
I have been cleaning this with a 50:50 mixture of distilled white vinegar, water, and a couple of drops of washing-up liquid as a wetting agent. This applied with cotton-buds. - Slow, but sure..
Things like the cab roof (presumably brass) are showing signs of 'starring' where moisture has got under the paintwork causing raised 'blisters'. Again, it is whether to just clean things up, or to strip and repaint. Cab roof is removable, so could be dealt with properly and re-sprayed, but other areas would not be as easy to deal with.

I would welcome other Forumites thoughts on how to proceed with this.
I think it might be better to 'conserve' what is there, and then let the new owner decide how far things should be taken in re-painting etc.

Thanks all,
Phil Partridge.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So far:
I have cleaned one side above, and below, the running board(s)..
I have had-at the pony trucks.. One runs fine under its' own weight.. Two 'appear' free, but will not turn under their own weight out on track. The fourth was seized solid.. I have freed this off, but not enough for it to turn under its' own weight. Also, one of the 'E'-clips on this axle has disintegrated once removed.
The running boards show quite bad surface corrosion, and I am in two minds what to do about it.. Leave it for 'whoever' purchases it to make the decision, or attack them, and try to make-good.

I think there should be a vertical handrail (with knob) at each corner?? - Only one of these survives.

Polishing up the brass would be a long job. Though the boiler bands seem to have responded reasonably well.

Other than the wheels on the pony-trucks sliding/skidding, the motion appears good. - Nice slow running without judder.
The onboard sounds (especially braking!) are excellent.

Where the fixings on the frames have 'whitened' with corrosion, I think a tooth-brushing / cleaning, and attack with blackening fluid will be the best-bet.

Attacking a metal-bodied loco like this is all new to me, so caution is my watch-word.
Does anyone know how the rivet detail on the cab roof will have been created?? - I would hate to rub this down (if it is decided to repaint) and loose said detailing.. Some fixings (cross-head screws) I have not been able to shift with the level of force I am prepared to apply. :(

I will perhaps get it out the box, and take a photo of either side (before and after shots) to show what I have done..?? Also, a shot of the running boards, to show level of corrosion. - I would need to fill/level before re-painting if I did attempt it.

A cracking model, unfortunately not stored in good conditions. Wish it looked as good as Neil's!