LGB Analogue (digital?) sound Query

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Two questions -
Firstly, does the simple chuff sound as fitted to latest type DCC direct decoder Stainz locomotives work after fitting a decoder?

Secondly, the older circus sound board. If one wired it to a decoder function then one could use DC to operate it, I assume (no battery would be needed). Does the unit operate directly off DCC track power, or is a DC supply needed?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Tim Brien said:
Two questions -
Firstly, does the simple chuff sound as fitted to latest type DCC direct decoder Stainz locomotives work after fitting a decoder?

Secondly, the older circus sound board. If one wired it to a decoder function then one could use DC to operate it, I assume (no battery would be needed). Does the unit operate directly off DCC track power, or is a DC supply needed?

Hi Tim,

First question - yes, it does, as long as you fit the decoder piggybacked onto the existing circuit board (as opposed to ripping out the board and just wiring in a new decoder).

Second - provided the function output has enough power (mA) capacity to operate the sound system, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I can answer your first question, as I fitted an LGB 55021 decoder to my DCC ready Stainz very recently!

I even did a thread:

http://www.gscalecentral.net/m188728

The decoder plugs straight onto the main pcb in the boiler, and the chuffs still do chuff....

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
I can answer your first question, as I fitted an LGB 55021 decoder to my DCC ready Stainz only last week!

The decoder plugs straight onto the main pcb in the boiler, and the chuffs still do chuff....

Do the directional lights still directionally light?

I've been putting off fitting a decoder to my Stainz for a while, but I think I'm going to have to do it soon as the AYUR (As Yet Unnamed Railway) in the back garden is about to become digital-only thanks to the addition of a reversing loop.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
mikesilky said:
Gizzy said:
I can answer your first question, as I fitted an LGB 55021 decoder to my DCC ready Stainz only last week!

Do the directional lights still directionally light?

I've been putting off fitting a decoder to my Stainz for a while, but I think I'm going to have to do it soon as the AYUR (As Yet Unnamed Railway) in the back garden is about to become digital-only thanks to the addition of a reversing loop.
I haven't tested it as yet Mike, but I'll go outside now and check it out for you....

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Thankyou all for information. I have several later type Stainz that look like they are going to be digitised.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm, that's odd?

I can't get the lights to work at all!

I have connected it to my LGB 55045 programmer, the first time I've used this device in anger, and read out my CVs successfully .

CV 52 for the front light is 128 and CV 53 for the rear light is 64.

As the 55021 decoder was 2nd hand I suspect these values are programmed for another loco. All I did previously was change the loco address CV 1, using my Universal Remote.

So I now need to confirm if CV 52 & 53 are set correctly, as I would expect them to be the same. I'm not sure to what value these should be set, but I guess the figure relates to a voltage setting?

I need to read up on this, unless someone like Muns knows the answer.... ;)

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
Page 31 of the brochure has the default settings Gizzy
http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_pr...BBF200AAA0FEE85256BDB0057F3E1/$FILE/55021.pdf < Link To http://www.champex-linden...57F3E1/$FILE/55021.pdf

Thanks Paul!

CV 52/53 are set correctly, but I reckon CV 49/50 should be set to 5 for 5 V lamps or 26 for 19 V lamps, so I'll try a value of 5 first....

7f2beb66868643f2966d1cb50d00d64a.jpg