LGB 65002 sound unit

madman1981

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Milton Keynes
Best answers
hi guys,

i got a new loco a few days ago which came with a LGB 65002 sound unit fitted with as standard i understand a MTS decoder inside. I have tried programming the decoder a number of times with no luck using my massoth system (just keep getting crosses even thou the sound unit is beeping). Does anyone have any experience of these as im about ready to throw it in the bin lol. it has a date of 2002 on it which im guessing would place it in the serial camp? or did not all of these have MTS?

any help would be appreciated as i have no sound lol

cheers

Richard

Ps i only get start up and idle sounds

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried it after programming? I've got one and it had to be programmed at the same time as the loco decoder or I just kept getting error messages. I powered it up off the auxiliary power socket as it needed track power all the time.
Like another thread is the sound turned on if you get nothing?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Have you changed the loco address? Sometimes this does not change the sound unit at the same time. Try going back to the original address and see if that helps.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Richard,
when programming, have you isolated the motor decoder from the LGB sound decoder? You cannot simply programme when two decoders are present. This may be confusing your DCC system.

You need to remove the LGB sound unit and separately programme. I regularly programme these units, but only using the LGB programmer and MTS 6.0 software. There is not much to alter when using DCC.

madman1981

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Ive tried programming the unit together and seperate but with no joy. I have also programmed the CV value 1 for the decoder address directly in case the massoth loco address function didnt work correctly but this didnt seem to work. When i was programming the sound unit directly one thing i did do was plug the sound units wires directly into the back on the central station unit. If i remember correctly ive had trouble with this before when programming loco decoders with me only being able to program from the track unless you use the programming cable. Bit of a long shot but will give it ago.

It wouldn't be anything to do with the fact the decoder in the unit might be serial and not paraell?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Tim Brien said:
You need to remove the LGB sound unit and separately programme.
I've never had to do that and I've used a SPROG and the LGB programmer, in fact with the LGB unit it wouldn't recognise it unless there was a motor and decoder present &:

Madman said:
It wouldn't be anything to do with the fact the decoder in the unit might be serial and not parallel?
Unless the Massoth unit works differently I can't see why as I've programmed successfully using a friends parallel MTS unit and my sound unit was bought before they went parallel as my MTS2 unit is serial too.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Paul,
the LGB sound decoder needs a load, a speaker, to be able to be programmed. How you could programme both a motor decoder and the sound decoder, simultaneously with a LGB programmer or the Sprog, has me confused as both decoders share similar CV's and would read as separate ID versions. I do not use the Massoth system and rely on the LGB programmer and have done many LGB 6500X series sound units.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You should be able to program both together (especially the address) as both decoders should recognise the programming commands and act upon them. However, the programming unit must supply enough power and will probably not recognise the conflicting programming ack's from each decoder and report a failure.

Load on a decoder is normally used to assist in generating the programming ack and the majority of decoders should accept and act upon the programming commands without a load, obviously there will be no feedback ack generated for the "programmer" to recognise and it will deem the operation a failure.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Tim Brien said:
the LGB sound decoder needs a load, a speaker, to be able to be programmed.
Tim
I agree but I found programming the loco independently was fine but I kept getting error messages for the 65xx on it's own so I programmed the loco and then added the sound unit to program the address, I wasn't trying to read the unit as it didn't seem to recognise it with just the speaker.
Peculiarities of the system? :D

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I changed the loco address of my V52 using an MTS 2 with Universal Remote, but it didn't change the address for its LGB sound unit.

BigJack sorted it for me on his Massoth 1200Z.

As PaulRHB mentioned, perhaps a perculiarity of the system....

madman1981

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Hi guys,

i finally got this working last night :) only problem with it now is its only 14 speed steps or should i say 13 as when i get the 14th the engine sound goes back to idle lol

oh well cant win them all

cheers again guys

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Richard,
unless you are using MTS 1 or 2, then the sound unit can be programmed to 28 speed steps.

madman1981

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Milton Keynes
Best answers
oooo ill have to have a look tonight :) nice having sound on the v200 but the sound chips costs alot of money really.