LGB 55525 Point Decoders - programming with Massoth Service Tool

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am finally aty the point of programming the two switch decoders I bought several years ago. I had assumed I could use the MST to program them; but the point programmer for LGB 4 channel switch decoder refers only to LGB 55025. As the 55525 is clearly labelled for mfx as well as DCC, I am a little nervous about attempting to program with the MST, given the experience others have had with things mfx related.

Can anyone out there advise as to whether the MST can safely be used to program 55525?

David K

Registered
17 Jul 2016
Offaly, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi OBBherr,

I am in a similar situation, by coincidence I received a new LGB 55525 today. I've tried and failed to program it with my Massoth Dimax Navigator. The decoder is set to Mfx by default but the manual says the address block is also set for DCC. My confusion is that I have tried to program the decoder on my programming track but the Massoth Navi allows POM Switch programming - it asks for three pieces of information: address, CV number, and CV value. The manual for the 55525 only talks about CV number and CV value. I thought I had mastered these Mfx decoders when I successfully programmed MLGB locos but this has me stumped.

As this is an addendum to OBBherr's request, I'd appreciate any guidance, please.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have moved forward a little, inasmuch as I have wired a turnout up to the programming track attached to the Dimax PC module and laptop. I then READ (but did not wrote) the CV values and they appeared to be as in the instructions. I then attached the turnout to the central station and it responded to the Navigator as per the manual. This of course is with its address as 1 which is the ex-works setting. So still needing to know whther itt's safe to use the Service Tool to change CV1. Like David, any guidance appreciated!

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have no experience with these but looking at the manual, there does not seem to be a way to disable the mfx related autoprogramming. I would presume that using MST would be ok if you use the Single CV write functionality and do not rely on the 55025 template.

David K

Registered
17 Jul 2016
Offaly, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mark,

I invested in Massoth control as they were the original suppliers of LGB electronics. I have two 55025 decoders on my layout (programmed with old MTS and seemlessly adopted by the Massoth upgrade) and now need to add control for 4 new points/switches. I could not source a Massoth switch decoder so opted for the MLGB version (55525) thinking it would be compatible with my system. Have you any ideas for a work-around this Mfx which is supposed to be DCC compliant? As you probably know if you ask Massoth they'll refer you to Märklin, and if you ask Märklin they'll refer you to Massoth!

Regards, David

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Last edited:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I hope you guys manage to work this out.
As a connected aside, I have a 55025 and a couple of the Massoth equivalents 8156001. I prefer the Massoth mainly because you can assign addresses individually to each port rather than being confined to fixed address blocks. You can even assign the same address to multiple ports, which can be useful if for example you want a point motor and a light signal to be synchronised.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Shed and Dave. Shed, conversation started.

David K

Registered
17 Jul 2016
Offaly, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hello The Shed,

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I knew what I wanted to do, i.e. CV1 to value 3, but I had forgotten how. Very simple with the Navigator on basic CV programming.

Regards,

David

Dcameron

Registered
30 Aug 2019
Basildon
Best answers
Country flag
Lgb 55025 cv 22 change to 77
Every time I program my decoder it stays at 1,2,3,4 point numbers been told that there’s a factory preset which needs to be changed via cv 22 to 77 to remove the factory preset how do you do this please