LGB 55063 breaking module

teddytejero

LGB / CANNONDALE
27 Oct 2009
Vlaanderen
Best answers
I've finished reading the manual and from what I understand both modules A & B can be used sereratly from one and another. Has someone used module A on a digital circuit and module B analog ? Programming the CV's for this operation with my navigator is also not very clear. All help welcome !

don9GLC2

Registered
11 Dec 2009
Bridge of Don, Aberdeen EU
Best answers
teddytejero said:
I've finished reading the manual and from what I understand both modules A & B can be used sereratly from one and another. Has someone used module A on a digital circuit and module B analog ? Programming the CV's for this operation with my navigator is also not very clear. All help welcome !

While I do not have any personal practical knowledge of the 55063 I had a quick look at the instructions and I think you are right that the a and b modules can be used separately, so long as you do not need a slow command before the stop.

However, I am a bit uncertain what you intend by using b module on analog. Is the analog section on a completely separate track / layout? Or are you trying to mix DCC and analog on the same track?

The CVs and values that you need to program depend on what you are trying to do with the modules, so we need to clarify that before I can suggest how to program the unit.

So if you could please explain a bit more about what you are trying to do, I might be able to suggest a solution (or more likely, even more questions :) )

Don

teddytejero

LGB / CANNONDALE
27 Oct 2009
Vlaanderen
Best answers
Hi there, thanks for your reply !
I have 2 seperate track layouts (one analog other digital)
The digital track is devided in 2 parts / one with booster section where i wan't to use the braking/stop module combined with a signal
I also wan't to use the breaking module for a timed stop on the analog track. The manual says the module parts are not electrical connected to each other ...
programming the CV for the 55063 is not clear
hope this helps (i will post a picture of the tracks)

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
teddytejero said:
The digital track is devided in 2 parts / one with booster section where i wan't to use the braking/stop module combined with a signal
I also wan't to use the breaking module for a timed stop on the analog track. The manual says the module parts are not electrical connected to each other ...

Let me see if I understand correctly.

You are intending to use one module to control a DCC layout with a stop signal. I assume that trains will pass in one direction only at the signal. You have a separate booster for the section before the signal. You mention Navigator - is your DC system Massoth? It is also possible to have trains running in the opposite direction without stopping, but that's going to need other controls or manual intervention to prevent disaster!

In addition you have an analog layout where you want to stop trains for a fixed time and then restart. You are not going to slow the trains before stopping. They will stop (and restart) abruptly.

If that is what you are intending, then the 55063 manual suggests that it is possible, but you will need some track contacts and magnets fitted to all your locos, as well as insulated sections of track, of course. Its not entirely clear if the LGB braking module is compatible with Massoth DCC components.

There are a number of variations that affect the physical wiring. The CV programming seems to be fairly simple, but that depends on what DCC system you have.

If you can confirm this is what you intend I will try to send you the wiring diagrams and the CV settings.

Don

teddytejero

LGB / CANNONDALE
27 Oct 2009
Vlaanderen
Best answers
don9GLC said:
teddytejero said:
Hi Don,

I have a Massoth 800Z combined with the booster module 55090 (I also received message from Massoth that I can use the module both analog and digital)

Let me see if I understand correctly.

You are intending to use one module to control a DCC layout with a stop signal. I assume that trains will pass in one direction only at the signal. You have a separate booster for the section before the signal. You mention Navigator - is your DC system Massoth? It is also possible to have trains running in the opposite direction without stopping, but that's going to need other controls or manual intervention to prevent disaster!

In addition you have an analog layout where you want to stop trains for a fixed time and then restart. You are not going to slow the trains before stopping. They will stop (and restart) abruptly. ++++ can I program this in the massoth locdecoder L - CV's ??? +++++++

If that is what you are intending, then the 55063 manual suggests that it is possible, but you will need some track contacts and magnets fitted to all your locos, ++++ I have the contacts but they sometimes don't react to the magnets / can this be done with help of another module ? +++++++

as well as insulated sections of track, of course. Its not entirely clear if the LGB braking module is compatible with Massoth DCC components.

There are a number of variations that affect the physical wiring. The CV programming seems to be fairly simple, but that depends on what DCC system you have.

If you can confirm this is what you intend I will try to send you the wiring diagrams and the CV settings.

Don

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
Re:LGB 55063 braking module (part 1)

Hi Teddy,

I think its better to give the answers in three parts
(1) DCC connections
(2) analog connections
(3) module CV programming

I will start here with the 'easy' part (1)

Page 14 of the 55063 manual gives this diagram

f81eb860fffe4db3be10ee9fde60c544.jpg

Instead of the LGB 55005 central station (on the diagram) you will connect your 800Z. I have not connected an LGB booster to my Massoth central station but I think you just need to connect the booster connection (edited - thanks muns). Please ask if you need any help with that and I will try to find more details.

Page 15 of the instructions has the english / french version for this diagram -

2. Braking with stop triggered via signal (MTS)
In addition to the MTS Braking Module, you need a 55090 MTS
Power Extender, an electric LGB signal with supplementary switch
and a 17100 EPL Track Contact. All locomotives must be equipped
with 17010 EPL Loco Magnets. The braking block must be separated
electrically from the rest of the layout. The insulated track section
must be long enough even in the opposite direction of travel:
The power pickups of a train (including illuminated cars) may never
bridge an insulated track section when the contact is triggered.
The MTS Power Extender is set to operating mode “Operation with
55063 MTS Braking Module” and speed step “0” (irregular flashing)
(see 55090 instructions).
Function:
The train enters the insulated track block. It passes over the track
contact “Trigger.” If the signal is set to “stop,” the MTS Power Extender
sends a stop command to the insulated track section.
The loco brakes with the braking programmed in the decoder and
stops. To restart the train, set the signal to “go.” The train now
accelerates with the acceleration programmed in the loco decoder.
To stop the next train, the signal has to be reset to “stop.”
[strike]Programming the MTS Braking Module:[/strike]
[strike]CV5: Operating mode Module a: 0, Module b: 0. Add the function[/strike]
[strike]values for both modules.[/strike]

Ignore the Programming instructions. That will be different for you and I will deal with that in part 3.

I have not had any experience with LGB track contacts. I have been waiting for Massoth track contacts for about six months! It is possible to use the train detection module but it requires a lot more wiring and complication, and even more insulated sections of track, so I recommend that you stay with the magnets and track contacts.

Page 7 of the 55063 manual has the following comments about track contacts and signals

Connecting track contacts:
To connect 17100 EPL Track Contacts to the 55063 MTS Braking Module,
connect the center terminal of the 17100 (marked with a dot) to the terminal
“M” on the 55063. Connect the terminal of the 17100 marked with a triangle
(arrow) facing toward the tracks to one of the terminals “1,” “2” or “S” of
the 55063, as shown in the wiring diagram. Do not use the terminal of the
17100 marked with a triangle (arrow) facing in the direction of the wires.
Connecting EPL Supplementary Switches (signals)
For configurations with signal control, the EPL Supplementary Switch on
the signal drive is connected as follows: open contact when signal shows
“Go/Green”; closed contact when signal shows “Stop/Red.”
When operating a stop or slow block with the Multi-Train System, you need
a 55090 MTS Power Extender with updated software for operation with the
MTS Braking Module. If your 55090 MTS Power Extender is not equipped
at the factory with this software, you can have the software updated free
of charge by using the coupon included with these instructions. You also
will receive new instructions for the 55090 MTS Power Extender which
describe the new functions.

Please let me know if anything is unclear and part (2) will follow.

Regards,

Don

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

don9GLC said:
Instead of the LGB 55005 central station (on the diagram) you will connect your 800Z. I have not connected an LGB booster to my Massoth central station but I think you just need to connect the bus. Please ask if you need any help with that and I will try to find more details.

The LGB booster should connect to the booster socket on the Massoth Central Station and not the Massoth Bus.

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers

muns said:
don9GLC said:
. . .

The LGB booster should connect to the booster socket on the Massoth Central Station and not the Massoth Bus.

Thanks Mark!
I've edited the instructions to correct this. Please standby for part 3. I'm sure I will need help with that
m16.gif

Don

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
Re:LGB 55063 braking module (part 2

don9GLC said:
teddytejero said:
. . .

In addition you have an analog layout where you want to stop trains for a fixed time and then restart. You are not going to slow the trains before stopping. They will stop (and restart) abruptly. ++++ can I program this in the massoth locdecoder L - CV's ??? +++++++

Here is the connection diagram for the analog module. Its based on page 36 of the instructions, but I have edited it so that it uses the b module.

c9b5d3f9129748e3bb134d91916037f1.jpg

I have not deleted the signal, but you do not need it because you are using the timer function. I do not think it is possible to program the loco decoder to avoid an abrupt stop on analog, because the power is switched off by the module. You would need a storage device as sometimes used so that a sound module can continue after the loco stops, but I do not know if that would make a lot of difference. You can of course program the decoder for acceleration. There is a circuit shown for a shuttle (pendelautomatik) that states it slows the loco even in analog, but it is not clear how this works and it does require constant analog voltage. If all your locos have decoders it might be worthwhile getting another 55090 and operating both layouts on DCC, so long as your central station can cope with the load.

On pages 37 and 39 of the instruction manual it states

For analog operation, the MTS Central Station and MTS Power Extender
are not needed. The MTS Braking Module is connected to the tracks and
to the LGB throttle. The voltage must be at least 10 volts. To program the
MTS Braking Module, you need a 55015 Universal Remote or a 55045
MTS PC Decoder Programming Module.
1. Stop timer (Analog)
In addition to the MTS Braking Module, you need a 17100 EPL Track
Contact and optionally an LGB signal with supplementary switch.
All locomotives must be equipped with 17010 EPL Loco Magnets.
The stop block must be separated electrically from the rest of the
layout. The insulated track section must be long enough even in the
opposite direction of travel: The power pickups of a train (including
illuminated cars) may never bridge an insulated track section when
the contact is triggered.

Function:
The train enters the insulated track section. If the signal is set
to "red," the train stops as it passes the contact "Trigger." After
the signal is set to "green," the track section remains unpowered
until the pre-selected time has elapsed. Then the train continues
its journey.
For a set-up without signal, the terminals S and M of the Braking
Module must be connected with a wire.
Programming the MTS Braking Module:
CV5: Operating mode Module a: 4, Module b: 64. Add the function
values for both modules.
Timer:
CV2: Timer Module a in seconds [1...255]
CV4: Timer Module b in seconds [1...255]

I hope all this is clear, but if you have any questions please ask.

Don

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
Re:LGB 55063 braking module (part 3)

teddytejero said:
. . .
Programming the CV's for this operation with my navigator is also not very clear. All help welcome !

Now the 'fun' bit!

Page 47 of the instructions gives the following table of CVs

a33ec066566449609f8132057e707629.jpg

The factory default for the module addresses is 1 (for module a) and (2 for module b). If you have not used these addresses for any of your locos or other accessories, you do not need to change them. They are set by the values in CV 1 (module a) and CV 3 (module b)

Because you need module a to operate with 'Braking with stop triggered via signal (MTS)' the CV5 'bit value' for module a is 0. (See part 1 instructions, where I said that we would discuss the CVs later).

Module b however needs to be 'timer function activated' so the CV5 'bit value' is 64.

Hence the CV value for CV5 is 0+64 = 64.

You also need to set the time delay for module b. That is set in CV4 and the factory default is 0 (seconds). So you might chose something like 30 for CV 4. The maximum is 255.

So your settings might be
CV1 1
CV2 0
CV3 2
CV4 30
CV5 64

I have assumed that you know how to program a decoder to change these values, but if you need any help just ask

Don

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
Re:LGB 55063 braking module (part 2)

I said that you do not need the signal, but I forgot to remind you that you need to connect terminals S & M on module b, so the circuit diagram should look something like this.

c98e82836d0b46f39c624b7d21232780.jpg