Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
John,

Thanks much for that reply.

Quite helpful.

In your diagram, what do you have connected to the Power/Prog connection on the 8170001?

I have mine connected tothe track power. It looks like yours are not connected to anything? I see your red and blue wires but it looks like they are not connected to anything.

Looking at the manual, I see now it down not show anything connected that.
8170001_ml.jpg

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
This is spare one that is set up as "test rig" has had all manner of weird and wonderful concoctions connected to it, non powered Reed Switches, Powered Reed Switches, SSR's (Solid State Relays), mechanical Relays, PIR Sensors, Laser Beam Detectors, DIY Current Sense Detectors (operates similar to the Massoth version), and a recent post for a DIY version of using a Hall Sensor, it is connected via the Master Bus Port on the Feedback Module, via the Black cable to a BUS port on the 1210Z, all the wireless versions are connected directly to the track.

John,

thanks again for the help.

If I could press you on the privious question.

On the 8170001 there are the connection ports labeled "Power Prog". is this used only for programming the unit?

When the unit is being used in operation do I connect that to track power or are the only connections to the unit the Bus cable out the back and the occnections fromthe track contacts to the 1a, 1b, and Gnd connections etc.?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The "Power/Prog" connections are only needed for programming and for power when using a feedback transmitter.

May I enquire what your intentions are with this?

When used with MTS, the feeback module can trigger operation of switch decoders or indicate operations via the LGB PC Module. Only a specific range of contact nos will trigger switch operations and a different range will be routed to the PC module. Now I cant remember what range does what (1-127 or 128-254).

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
The "Power/Prog" connections are only needed for programming and for power when using a feedback transmitter.

May I require what your intentions are with this?

When used with MTS, the feeback module can trigger operation of switch decoders or indicate operations via the LGB PC Module. Only a specific range of contact nos will trigger switch operations and a different range will be routed to the PC module. Now I cant remember what range does what (1-127 or 128-254).

Mark,

Thank your four your reply.

I am using this with the LGB MTS III Central Station which has a 55060 PC Module connected to it that links it to Stellwerks Software. Not sure if you know Stellwerks. It was written by Juergen Schwarz, who wrote the origanal PC Control software for LGB MTS. When LGB abandoned the product, Juergen kept it going on his own.

According to him (I have been in email contact with him for the last month) the 817001 (AKA 280R) should be set at address 129 (CV1 =129) which gives addresses 129a, 129b, 130a, 130b, 131a, 131b, 132a, 132b for contact feedback. Stellwerks translates those to 513 -520 for use in the software.

I believe I have everything wired as it should (now that I have removed the Power from the power input. I am now worryed that by having that connected, I may have blown the unit albiet it still seems to be functioning, i.e .6.5V steady and then 0V when I pass the magnet. I can read all the CV values and they are correct as far as I know.

This has been an adventure to say the least.

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Solved!!!

It dawned on me that I should be seeing a slight blink of the light on the Central Station signifying a signal back to the station. There was none.

I swapped the $%&#ing cable and it worked. Oddly, I swapped the cable back and it now works.

I was uding a brand new cable straight from Massoth 2 weeks ago. Arrrghhhhhh!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help and thoughts!!

Cheers!

P9060087.JPG

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
After two years of frustration with the contacts giving intermittent failed reads, I purchased a used Massoth DiMAX 1210Z Central Station..

Instant success. I get 100% reads off the contacts. Time to sell my MTS III gear.

One question: For programming decoders and such has anyone used an LGB 55045 (LGB 55045 MTS PC Decoder Programming Module with a DiMAX 1210Z?

I see Massoth has its own PC Programming module (The newer 8175201 AllAboutLGB: Massoth DiMAX PC Programming Module USB the older 8175001).

Last edited: