LGB 55060 MTS PC Interface - Massoth Equivalent

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a LGB 55060 and the MTS PC 6.0 software which I have used to operate my railway, by way of a Track Diagram on an old laptop.

A friend has asked me to help upgrade his own layout, but using Massoth equipment.

So a few questions;

1. What is the Massoth unit we need to purchase.

2. What version of Windows does it run with.

3. Is an equivalent software package like the MTS PC 6.0 supplied or will I need to obtain it from Stellwerk.

Thanks in anticipation....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
1) No additional Massoth unit is needed, each Central Station will have either a RS232 or USB interface.
2) Depends upon the software used.
3) You will need to obtain a 3rd party package that is compatible - details here... http://www.massoth.com/en/produkte/software.en.html

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
1) No additional Massoth unit is needed, each Central Station will have either a RS232 or USB interface.
2) Depends upon the software used.
3) You will need to obtain a 3rd party package that is compatible - details here... http://www.massoth.com/en/produkte/software.en.html
1. So I can just plug in a laptop via USB? That's brilliant news!

2. I will use a Toshiba Laptop running XP

3. As I already use LGB MTS PC 6.0, I will stick with what I know and go for Stellwerk then.

Thanks for your very prompt reply Mark....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Update on this one?

I have not heard back from Stellwerk yet?

Another question for Marky Muns.

Is it possible to use a network connection to a Massoth 1200Z? I ask because the laptop is to be located 20 metres from this unit.

I think a serial RS232 link over this distance will be a bit flaky. I rang Norman earlier but he couldn't tell if there was a RJ45 connection on his 1200Z.

Other wise it'll be a lot of faffing around with KVMs....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, none of the current DiMax CSs are network enabled.

You could use a Ethernet to Serial Adapter (host) like these which are a it on the costly side

http://www.brainboxes.com/ethernet-to-serial

or this...(a little better).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Serial-RS232-Converter-Version/dp/B00ITI346C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440625894&sr=8-1&keywords=ethernet+to+rs232

Another option would be to use a suitable long USB cable with a USB/RS232 adaptor at the far end.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Just looked on ebay - search "Ethernet rs232" - some for around a £10

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, another prompt reply, thanks Mark.

I thought that USB was only good for 10 metres? The Toshiba laptop is USB, but the 1200Z has a serial port, so maybe your suggestion of a long USB cable with a serial adaptor could work....

Last edited:

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
you will need an "active usb extension" cable such as ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIXES-20m-Long-Reaching-USB-Active-Repeater-Extension-Cable-USB2-0-Booster-/390974965959?hash=item5b07ec88c7

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks once again Mark!

Now got to find a usb to serial convertor to connect that cable to the Massoth RS 232 port....

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
RS 232 should be good for 50ft, and we often use it further than that driving lighting dimmers.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Use a good quality shielded cable. If making it up yourself, only ground the braid at one end.. You should be fine.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
An update on this thread.

I have contacted Stellwerk via their website, but I have had no reply.

So I am wondering if the Massoth 1200Z will work with my MTS PC 6.0 software to control the points. OS is Win XP....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Gary, the protocol used between Software and Massoth CS is completely different to that used by LGB. The software must explicitly support the Massoth hardware.

Try Rocrail - its free.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Sorry Gary, the protocol used between Software and Massoth CS is completely different to that used by LGB. The software must explicitly support the Massoth hardware.

Try Rocrail - its free.

Thanks again Mark!

Looks like I will have to do some more research and look into Rocrail....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I contacted Herr Schwarz directly via his email, rather than using the enquiry form on his website, and I now have a reply.

So I am now staying with Stellwerk as it is an upgraded version of the MTS 6.0 software I use myself....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just a quick note to say that the Stellwerk 9.0 software has arrived and I have installed it on my mate Norman's laptop.

I also imported his trackplan from one I did on LGB MTS 6.0 and it seems to work okay.

Next job will be to integrate it into his Massoth Z1200....

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Can someone point me simple overview of getting started with the Stellwerk Easy Software.
I downloaded the demo software and have made some progress. I cannot see how to program a basic routine such starting a loco, let it run for 1 minute, blow the whistle, stop the loco.

I looked YouTube and did not find anything.

I have not purchase the 55045 yet and want to understand the software before I do.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have the 55060 which I use for layout control.

Here is the track diagram that controlled my previous layout.

e07576434da049b2832959ba955fc3d2.jpg

I've since moved and I'm in the process of building a new railway, but I've yet to get as far as reprogramming for this, so my current knowledge of LGB MTS and Stellwerk is a little rusty....

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy, thank you very much for your reply.

I should have said 55060. My mistake.

I see you can also use the 55070 to obtain feedback from sensors and act on those.

Your advice to print the book is good.

With regard to MTS / Massoth, I guess that is a fundamental question. Given I am starting anew, is it advisable to use the Sellwerk/MTS combination or is it better to go Massoth. I have 55022, and 55021 LGB decoders in the locos. My understanding is the I can use the Sellwerk/MTS or use Massoth to control those.

I am not familiar with the term "faff" but I think I can infer what it means.

Assuming for the moment, I stick with Sellwerk/MTS, I cannot yet figure out the relationship of the Graphic Diagram and Schedule. Do you have to hand-code the Schedule by writing commands with a simple editor? Other than documenting the layout, I do not see how the Graphic Diagram is used to control the layout.