Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone out there have any experience of these signals?

The one I have has developed a glitch in that it will only light the green light or the red light, whatever instructions are sent to it. So, if I have the red light on and send a command to turn the signal to green, the red light will go off but the green light won't come on. Similarly, if the green light does light up, when I send a command to turn the signal to red, the green light goes off but no red light.

I've checked bulbs and both work OK, and the little magnet thingy that sits on the EPL drive at the base of the signal is in place, so I'm a bit stumped. I can't see any obvious "user-serviceable" bits but maybe one of you fine folk has dismantled a signal before and can suggest something I can try.

Thanks

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly the EPL drive is sticking slightly, so not going to full deflection and leaving the actuating magnet mid-position.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mechanical problems; sticking drive I reckon?

AFAIW, it doesn't actually have a green and a red lamp but a mechanical spectacle plate with red/green lenses.

Might be able to fix by adjusting the throw on the EPL drive....

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions.

The EPL was a bit stiff - seems to be the resistance form the attached supplementary switch - so I've massaged it a bit to try and ease it. I also found an imperfection in the Red bulb-holder that was preventing the bulb from seating fully and making a decent contact, so I fettled this and screwed the bulb in as tight as I dare.

Result is I now have a working dual-aspect colour light signal :clap::clap::clap:

However, I can't help thinking there must be an alternative to using EPL-driven signals. I know some folks make their own (e.g. back in GSM days Mike Duffy made some colour light signals out of ballpoint pen tubes and chocolate block wiring connectors) but I don't have a clue what electronic bits and bobs are needed or how to start wiring them up.

I guess I need to get hold of "Signal Building for Dummies"!!!

Thanks again

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
hi phil, i re built the lgb signals useing leds.. just a simple replacement, for reliablity.. they are simpley wired in to a lgb suplementry switch, pushed into the back of the lgb point motor..1 switch could control 2 differnt signals

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Ralphmp said:
I know some folks make their own (e.g. back in GSM days Mike Duffy made some colour light signals out of ballpoint pen tubes and chocolate block wiring connectors) but I don't have a clue what electronic bits and bobs are needed or how to start wiring them up.
I guess I need to get hold of "Signal Building for Dummies"!!!
Here you go. :)
http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=1223&high=colour+light < Link To http://www.forum.gscalece...&high=colour+light

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Neil. Gives me some bedtime reading :)

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I've now read the article and, as I remembered, it looks like a good way of building your own signals. However, having no real experience or knowledge of diodes, resistors and the like I don't understand why they are needed and what they do. Also, in one diagram a diode is shown but in another it isn't so is it something that's just "nice to have"?

Not looking for a crash course in electronics but if it's possible to explain in layman's terms that would be great (I'm afraid I like to understand why I'm doing things rather than just blindly follow instructions ...)

Thanks again

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a resister , restrics ,reduces the power.. a diode , is like a one way valve..it lets the electricary flow one way..you need the resister for LEDs..

chasaitch

chasaitch
17 Feb 2016
Banburyshire OX155LF
Best answers
Country flag
I stand in awe at the competance shown by all you people. At the moment my arthritic wrists, knackered knees, displaced centre of gravity and my general ineptness is installing a dozen Lgb 50950 powered by an Lgb central transformer providing 20 volts at 5 watts and I am having FUN. What I would like to know though is where can one obtain RED bulbs, the Lgb ones are orange and would be fine for distance signals but frankly do not cut the mustard for home. Any ideas anyone?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I stand in awe at the competance shown by all you people. At the moment my arthritic wrists, knackered knees, displaced centre of gravity and my general ineptness is installing a dozen Lgb 50950 powered by an Lgb central transformer providing 20 volts at 5 watts and I am having FUN. What I would like to know though is where can one obtain RED bulbs, the Lgb ones are orange and would be fine for distance signals but frankly do not cut the mustard for home. Any ideas anyone?

I have a nasty feeling the bulbs are screw-in??

'Amber' 19V bulbs are available as spares.. The only red ones I know of are 24V (so would be fine on your 20V supply), but are push-in.. I seem to have a glut of these, from evilBay 'spares' purchases. :rolleyes: