LGB 50950 colour light signal magnetic relay replacement

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have quite a few of these LGB colour light signals on my layout. One or two have developed a problem where both lights in the signal light up simultaneously. I have read that this is usually a result of the magnetic switch inside the base of the signal mast having failed.
I have tried searching the spare parts at Marklin and, while it is possible to purchase spare light sockets with cables [I have done this in the past], they do not seem to list this little reed relay switch as a spare part. It seems rather a pain to have to purchase a complete new signal, at considerable expense, just for the sake of getting this tiny component.
Does anyone know if this little part can be purchased separately, and what its part number is? If not, does anyone know whether an equivalent part can be purchased from any electronics supplier and what its specs are?
I have sent a request to Marklin about this, but I thought someone here might have encountered this problem before me, and come up with a solution.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
It seems unlikely to me that a failed reed switch would cause both lights to be on, I would have thought it would be stuck on red or green. Might be worth checking that the wires inside the mast from the switch to the lights are not shorted. If it is the reed switch I don’t have the specs but it shouldn't be hard to work out. The main constraint will be the size to fit on that mini circuit board in the bottom of the mast.

I have had a few of these signals secondhand in the past, I converted them to LED lights when they failed. I also found the lights were a more convincing red and green with LED bulbs.

Hope this helps.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It seems unlikely to me that a failed reed switch would cause both lights to be on, I would have thought it would be stuck on red or green. Might be worth checking that the wires inside the mast from the switch to the lights are not shorted. If it is the reed switch I don’t have the specs but it shouldn't be hard to work out. The main constraint will be the size to fit on that mini circuit board in the bottom of the mast.

I have had a few of these signals secondhand in the past, I converted them to LED lights when they failed. I also found the lights were a more convincing red and green with LED bulbs.

Hope this helps.
Does this help at all? Scroll down for the English section.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think corrosion / short-circuit is more likely to be the culprit?

Unfortunately, I don't have one to take apart, so not much help, I am afraid. :(

PhilP

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag

Hope this helps.
Ironically, it was while I was in the process of converting all my signals to LED bulbs that this little problem showed up. While the bulk of the conversions went smoothly, one or two had the problem I described and a few others resulted in the socket being damaged while trying to get the old incandescents out, or the new bulbs screwed in! In the latter case, I had to order new sockets with a wire, to replace them. At least they are an available spare part, which is why I wondered why the relay seems not to be available as a spare.
I agree that the LEDS provide a much better colour effect. Many of the old bulbs had turned to white light anyway, because the sun had bleached the paint on the bulbs. At least that won't happen with the LEDs, as they are intrinsically green or red - not painted glass!
Unfortunately, the doco from Marklin on this item does not list the relay as a spare part, or give any details on its specs. I am hoping my message to them might elicit more info on this, but I am not confident it will. Still, if you don't think the switch is the cause of my problem, that may not be an issue. I will have a closer look at the wiring contacts in the base, to see if they may be shorted. Thanks.