Lgb 4/4 ii pantograph RC conversion

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve recently acquired one of these locos and my mind is trying to how to convert it to radio control, however i would like to keep the motor driven pantographs.

Does anybody know of a good method? Or is it worth swapping to A small servo to drive the pantographs?

Or is it worth tie them to a fixed height with fishing wire and don‘t bother with the moving part?

I also want to keep the directional headlights, i know to to use a 5v regulator but was wondering can you drive a 5v relay direct from an rx output?

Picture for reference

IMG_0154.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
One certain way if not already fitted would be to use DCC battery Radio Control, Fosworks supplies. You could then use the DCC chip to drive the pans and lights. The Fosworks RC is a simple fit linking from where track would be to the track and also to batteries. However not sure how driving Servo’s would go, best have a word with Steve at Fosworks.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The Micron /RC Trains offerings can give you direct drive of LEDs and servos..

'Somewhere' I have the circuit for the LGB pantograph drive board, but you don't need servo-drive pulses, as such.

This may take me a while to find. - Especially as I am a few hundred miles away from my files.

PhilP

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
The Micron /RC Trains offerings can give you direct drive of LEDs and servos..

'Somewhere' I have the circuit for the LGB pantograph drive board, but you don't need servo-drive pulses, as such.

This may take me a while to find. - Especially as I am a few hundred miles away from my files.

PhilP
That would be helpful if you can find it, there’s no rush in just pondering and planning my options.

Dan

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve been doing some more research, and the pantographs are powered by the Lgb accessory motor,

In addition one of the exploded diagrams I found, shows some built in limit switches,

So in theory a ESC of suitable spec could easily run the motor,

I currently have no idea of the motor voltage, is it 5v 12v or 24v?? I assume 5v or 12v

The other question is what do the 3 lights on the dashboard of the loco mean? They all light up and go out and different times,

I think some are related to to pantograph operation

Dan
IMG_0309.jpeg

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Ears pricked up with interest on this one too ! i was thinking of doing it via one of the accessory buttons on the RC as i really dont need two horns but the sassyness of having a servo operate the panto instead is for more interesting.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The pantograph motor could be controlled separately from the rest of the locomotive. If you could isolate the pantograph motor and power it via its own battery, controlled by one of those tiny receivers sold on Ebay, then control it with the transmitter that comes with the receiver.

Admittedly you'd have another transmitter to hold. But it is a simple method that I have used in some of my animated projects.

mradd

Don New Zealand
17 Mar 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
The pantograph motor could be controlled separately from the rest of the locomotive. If you could isolate the pantograph motor and power it via its own battery, controlled by one of those tiny receivers sold on Ebay, then control it with the transmitter that comes with the receiver.

Admittedly you'd have another transmitter to hold. But it is a simple method that I have used in some of my animated projects.
I’ve been doing some more research, and the pantographs are powered by the Lgb accessory motor,

In addition one of the exploded diagrams I found, shows some built in limit switches,

So in theory a ESC of suitable spec could easily run the motor,

I currently have no idea of the motor voltage, is it 5v 12v or 24v?? I assume 5v or 12v

The other question is what do the 3 lights on the dashboard of the loco mean? They all light up and go out and different times,

I think some are related to to pantograph operation

Dan
View attachment 318603
The pantos are linked to directions and sound, From memory the panto motors are 3v ..i have use a 9grm servo motor on each panto Via a servo board …
the interfaces tobthe panto are quite finicky and pack up easily. The cab lights mean nothing its just a circuit to make it look interesting with the changes

Reactions: 1 user

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Couple of options:

As others have said - put servos on it. I motorised my Krok pantographs with Servos and they seem to work very well.

I did a video on the Krok and it's Pantos here:

Other option - use a H-Bridge / small ESC to drive the panto motors.

Something like a Pololu DRV8833 dual driver would work great for this, nice and small too. If using a H-Bridge you would need something to control it, using a microcontroller for this is fairly easy :)

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For LGB pantographs I just use DPDT latching relays. These stay in the last state they were in when power is removed.

Reactions: 1 user

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Does this product look like it would do the job ?