LGB 3500 STREETCAR TRAILER

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Would the plastic wheels of the streetcar trailer be the typical LGB rolling stock diameter wheel? I am wondering if LGB's Ball Bearing wheels could be fitted in place of the plastic wheels. I don't own one of the trailers, but am looking at several on Ebay.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
Dan,
I replaced mine with standard metal wheels and added carbon brush current pickups. There seems to be a fair amount of open space around the inner axle, which could posibly accommodate the bb wheels.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Being a bit of a cheep skate I have even managed to stuff some Bachmann metal Wheels into LGB Trailer Cars.
JonD

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
My entire fleet of streetcar trailers have been fitted with ballbearing wheels. Wired to the intercar jumpers I now pick up power on 8 wheels. Highly recomended.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
I agree it is a simple job to fit Ballbearing wheelsets to the trailers and wire them in to the cable link wiring to the power car,, it greatly enhances pick up and smooth running,

It also helps to add some additional weight to the trailer car also to further improve power pick up

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to all for the information. I kind of figured as much, from the photos I saw on Ebay, but wanted some expert:happy: opinions before I placed a bid.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Madman, also you can fit a standard LGB power block, into the streetcar trailer.Then fit and wire through a DPDT switch to a pantograph or bow collector add some lights hey presto one powered streetcar, with the option of track or overhead collection.:Looser: Alyn

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
themole said:
Hi Madman, also you can fit a standard LGB power block, into the streetcar trailer.Then fit and wire through a DPDT switch to a pantograph or bow collector add some lights hey presto one powered streetcar, with the option of track or overhead collection.:Looser: Alyn

Better idea yet, Alyn. Thanks.