LGB 3019 Post Van: restore or refurbish?

A

Alec K

Well, the C and W shop here has a new project- rather sooner than I anticipated, perhaps.

Let me say at the outset that if anyone recognises the specific vehicle in the photographs that follow, I am intending no criticism of its previous owner(s). One of the great benefits of GSC it seems to me is that we can quickly see how differently we create our railways, and the many and various perspectives we have for our very individual lines. To anonymise the Post Van a little, I have removed the dry print lettering that the previous owner had applied.

I have already started to disassemble the vehicle, which came into my possession yesterday. As you can see, the original finish survives only in most of the interior, except where overspray has penetrated it. All external transfers, and in some cases moulded letters, have been removed. The exterior has been sprayed with what seems to be grey primer with no masking, so that the black running gear and wheelsets have also been partially sprayed. The two rear marker lights have had the red-and-white side targets scraped off.
4988df023ad44125ad46472eda275141.jpg

74fc66ed470f4b959160fdc76b4ae30d.jpg

Electrically, the lighting and pick-up systems are sound, but as most of the carbon brushes had become deposited on the backs of the metal wheels, I have ordered a replacement set, having retained the small springs. The wheels have been completely cleaned, including the removal of overspray.
cfbb1db0f53a431eb98bd3af233abcff.jpg

4628ca6c2f50413b915efe5dad2a7e91.jpg

The roof and some of the interior was partially coated in a gritty back paint that had not fortunately not fully adhered, and this has been washed off in hot soapy water. The roof seems to have been an originally grey moulding, but the LGB 2008 catalogue picture shows it to be black. I would guess that I have a very early version, therefore, as there are two round-pin sockets just below the roofline on each end of my vehicle for the lighting cable extensions.

Please may I now ask for the help of GSC members?

[UL][*]Given the condition of the my vehicle as you now see it, how would you progress the project? It seems to me that I could: attempt a full restoration to near-original paint colours, but this would involve sourcing all the various German-language transfers and logos; restore the near-original paint colours without attempting to replace all the transfers; refurbish the vehicle with a new body colour and a generic but appropriate Postal Service branding; or some other approach that I haven't considered![*]Please could those with expert knowledge of these LGB Post Vans advise me on the correct roof colour and, if at all possible, estimate the age of my van? [/UL] As always, all help, advice, and opinion on the restore/refurbish options will be very gratefully received. Apologies for the length of this posting.

Kind regards,

Alec K

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Alex,

if you want to remove the grey paint, it might be worth trying to use a mild paint stripper, brake fluid, or (probably expensive) Modelstrip.

You may be able to get to the original finish, without removing the lettering if you take care.

If removing the grey paint doesn't work out then, you can go to plan B and respray however you would like it....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
It is a later version, I have an early version with the old couplings. Messrs LGB put the hook at the back (tail light end) which defies logic. The two couplings on the oldies are incompatible so I had to swap the bogies end to end to get the the hook at the train end (and consequently stop it detaching itself when there was only one hook).
Paint it the colour you like and label it how you like - it's your railway - and there are enough originals for sale.
:D

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Remember, there was the OLD 3019 with grates as 798 has done a fine job modifying, the 3019N which Pug brought about (first got lighting around 1978) and then the later 3019 shown here. Seeing the condition, and as there are oodles of post 1980 3019s about, I would do as you wish. I had thought of doing one in grey with black markings and a low arch roof for example, but with some masking and other care in the job!

Also, you may be interested in this....depending on the route you decide to go....

http://www.modell-land.de/aufkleber-kpev-personenw-einheitswagen-30190e199-p-5970.html

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
As has been said, it doesn't really have any great historical value, so if it was me I'd go for whatever colour scheme and markings that fit in with your railway. The German language markings wouldn't really fit in with your railway would they?

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i agree, do what you like
my own experience with refurbishing and restoring is that it is usually expensive, time consuming and often yields a less than perfect result-even painting a new undecorated loco in n scale as i used to do-usually cost a good deal between decals, and two colors and primer,)

the fancy lining and other aspects will make this a difficult project (or it would be for me)

for the first time, after years on ebay, only last week, i saw decals for the car-

the point is that, should you need these, they might be impossible to find readily-i think the decals (post slot details and KPEV eagle) will be essential to your undertaking if you wish a restoration

3019s are not rare and you can get a superb version for not a lot if you are patient

i too often get rather abused items that need some attention, most often a broken part ( i hate broken toys) and the process is fun and rewarding..

but now parts and the like are often pricey....and some items can be a real quest, and it can be frustrating and time consuming to locate just what you need-

matching colors can also be a challenge-unless you go to a paint matching place-autos for example-and shading the roof edges too-oddly part of the effect is due to the rather heavy paint lgb used and i presume high pressure guns (not an expert-just my assessment after comping close to duplicating it)

so my thought is that if its the PROCESS that you enjoy-wonderful
having stripped and repainted some things-and im reasonably experienced and susccessful at it

-it is rare to get something identical to the factory-not impossible but a challenge-ie to get the look of the slight imperfections of pad printing in the lining, etc will be likely impossible-at least it would for me

if you want a great 3019..then buy one and do something creative with this one

i cant see clearly-but the plugs above the desk appear to be set into a hole in the wall-which seems to be early when the plugs had a separate piece of black plastic around them as opposed to being set directly into the wall without the black surround-my estimate is late 70s-early 80s)

and...
if you are inclined to do a 180.........
if you run any french stock-a grey car to match would be pretty nice...

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Alec

Please could those with expert knowledge of these LGB Post Vans advise me on the correct roof colour and, if at all possible, estimate the age of my van?

I am definately not an exxpert just buy what looks good to me. :D over time i have picked up 3 of these, and having just looked at them they actually have 3 different roof colours,
one is smooth (to touch) matt finished,
one is smooth (to touch) but glossy finish,
one is rough (to touch) matt finished.
None have any varnish or coating on top of the origional LGB plastic.
2 are dark black on the side/rolled edge fading to light grey in the centre
1 is mid black on the side/rolled edge fading to a very light shiny almost washed out black in the centre.

Pictures below show as is, but bear in mind they live out doors in an open sided log store with roof cover, so are quite dusty (or as i prefer to call them naturally weathered :rolleyes: )

(p.s. sun went in just as i took the pics and the glossy finished roof looks greyer rather than lightish black in the middle in these pictures, than it actually does in day light)

2a3a79958524467798f234d91196f0ad.jpg

b145c6e7e9634d0b88c2d4e9212be157.jpg

A

Alec K

I'd like to say how fortunate I am in the number of well-informed and experienced responses I have had to this thread. Every single one of them has been more than useful, and, therefore, thank you very much, one and all. It is appreciated.

Gizzy and Ross: Thank you for the Modelstrip suggestion. I hadn't heard of the tip about sealing the vehicle, coated with Modelstrip, in a plastic bag in the airing cupboard. I have some Modelstrip left over from an earlier project and I will proceed accordingly.

Steve: You rather confirmed an early impression I gained of the volume of work that a full restoration would require- and Steve D's response does confirm this. Thank you.

Pugwash: Thank you for the reassurance that the vehicle isn't rare and therefore will not gain a place in the LGB pantheon! Interestingly, a previous owner has actually added a hook coupling where one was not previously provided, and it's a different pattern to the LGB plastic-spring type. The added one may be a Bachmann type as it has a metal coil spring.

798.03: Thank you for your full response. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has to consider the future of this kind of purchase at length. I was given a German dictionary as a Christmas present a couple of years ago and, with it open beside me, I can just about translate German language instructions, and so I will make my way through the webpages you kindly linked. An initial look suggests that they will be of great interest! You have helped to crystallise my thinking - for which many thanks - and your converted vehicle has given me a target in terms of quality of finish.

Spule 4: Thank you for the link to the replacement sticker set! I have looked at these and some of them could be used in a non-German context, so an order may well be on its way to the supplier - German dictionary permitting, of course. Thank you too for confirming the vehicle's (non-) rarity.

Mel: You identified the real conflict, of course! I've always admired this vehicle in the catalogues, and couldn't resist it at the price in its current condition. But what on earth would it be doing on the L and CR? You were far too kind to put it quite like this, but you are right. I think I have a way forward....

Steve D: Your comments resonated with me. Like you, I really enjoy the restoration process but, honestly, I'm unlikely to return this vehicle to near-original condition for all the reasons you describe. We'll see how much the replacement brush set costs, Steve! The plugs are indeed set directly into the end walls; the consensus of those contributors who have ventured an approximate date seems therefore to be that the Post van is around 35 years old. That's good to know. Thank you, Steve.

Rob: Thank you for all your trouble in assembling your set of three 'in-service' Post Vans for the photograph - very helpful indeed. There certainly is a variety in roof finishes; by courtesy of your efforts, I can now confirm that my van has dark black roof edges that fade to light grey in the centre - so I'll leave the roof in this condition. Thanks again, Rob.

Where to from here?

Having weighed all the advice so far, I think this is the future of the Post Van:

(1) electrical and mechanical refurbishment
(2) stripping of the grey primer coating
(3) restoration of the underframe elements to satin black
(4) roof left in 'as-is' condition
(5) cleaning only of the interior
(6) refurbishment of the body to red-brown colour - correct for L and CR and L and L and LR coaching stock
(7)application of Edward VII Royal Mail 'branding' as, had the L and CR survived intact beyond 1917 (there's an issue there) this might just have been a possibility. This might salve my conscience, Mel!

Now, let's see how it goes...

Kind regards, all

Alec K

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Here's three related items:-

a9427f13584049de83cdcaa949a9d8a5.jpg

LGB40390

e3c37bb12dd8463b87012c922d15292d.jpg

LGB 41390

773e141b94194d9981c15f6cbbfda17b.jpg

LGB42390

David

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Quick thought - howsabout a horse box ? Its got plenty of grilles, a grooms door,and it could be more plausible than a mail van.

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
So long as you are happy with it, its a winner all the way
I have a lot of odd ball wagons bought on a whim that one day
will all be fixed to run :clap:

Rule 8 Rules :D

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
also related 
IMG_0302.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_0272.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_0277.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_0287.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_0279.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
everyone likes pics
im done i promise

democratnjfakultativ056.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well maybe one or two more
IMG_0289.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
  notice the color of the tongue of the eagle in the follwoing 2 pics-as well as the color of the mail slots one is gold the newer yellow-the newer is the first and has ball bearing wheels and to the body mounted lanterns-no old style brackets ( coloro 
IMG_0290.jpg