LGB #29182A South Park Mogul

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Just received my latest LGB purchase, the 2005 LGB #29182A Denver South Park Mogul. While in new condition it was missing the paperwork. A check online was also unsuccessful (test sound sample only found). The locomotive is standard with MTS onboard decoder and factory sound. My qustion concerns the function buttons. Function 5 and function 7 appear to do nothing. Possibly smoke on/off is tied to one of these, but I find smoke unnecessary and do not use, so unable to test. Given the recent age of the loco (manufactured September 2004) I would think that it is 'parallel'. Functions 10 upwards similarly appear to be not connected. It still amazes me that there is no commonality in function assignment with LGB locomotives. Am I missing any functions?

Functions are as follows F1 - warning whistle
F2 - brake squeal
F3 - bell
F4 - air compressor
F5 - ?
F6 - distant whistle
F7 - ?
F8 - sound on/off
F9 - headlight on/off

As it is a 'woodburner' there is no coal shovelling function sound.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Thankyou, that is perfect. F5 is flickering firebox and F7 is smoke generator on/off.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
OK, update on this locomotive. Last couplwe of days since receiving my NCE 10 amp DCC system, I have been giving the loco a workout. After several minutes running, the whistle sound, whether by reed/magnet trigger, button 1 or button 6, would breakdown. Simple solution was to simply turn the volume control knob down slightly, however, I did not find this out until I had tried a replacement speaker and then proceeded to read the onboard decoder on LGB, Massoth and JMRI programmes (all to no effect as it seems files do not exist for this decoder). With the volume control turned down just a whisker it seems the sound 'breakdown' has gone.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Tim, by "breakdown" do you mean the sound stopped or was it distorting/crackling? I find that my Mikado (onboard MTS sound) is too loud at max volume, starts to crackle and I get vibration noises from the boiler. Simple fix of course, just turn it down a bit!

For reading the decoder with JMRI, even if DecoderPro cannot correctly identify the onboard decoder you can still try manually setting the decoder type to one of the LGB types that are defined (they're all much the same CVs), or I think there's a standard NMRA CV decoder type that you can then use to open a programmer. I'm at work so cannot remember the exact name of this generic decoder type. Also, probably best to remember to turn the sound off when attempting to read the decoder.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Nick,
yes, that is correct the whistle sound was distorting. I was not aware of the volume pot on the firebox backhead and assumed that I would need to adjust the volume CV on the decoder. I am not so sure now that the sound card is a decoder, but rather an 'add-on' sound card triggered by the motor decoder. A friend connected a decoder to his LGB sound Forney, using the decoder to trigger the stock digital sound card and found that volume was much higher with DCC than with analogue operation.

When I read the decoder on the JMRI programme, it came up as a type 3 onboard and JMRI does not have a file for a type 3 onboard and could not read it(it has it for the type 2 onboard). When I selected the type 2 onboard, it read all (or most of the CV's), but was unable to read any sound CV's. This makes me think the decoder is purely motor control and that the sound is just a digital (non-decoder) add-on.

You are correct, sound was turned off.