Country flag
and you are correct, 4 leads to the bogies

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
They are the right ones but whether they all should be on, well I just don't know. Abd BTW it is a four wire system

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Do you know anyone who may fit/fix decoders in the thought that they may have come across one of these at some point and fitted decoders to it and maybe changed the switches, if they were not in the off position previously

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I found a link refering to the fitting of decoders to locomotives here;
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/jerrymccolgan/55021 MTS Loco Decoder II.pdf
on page 19 it says that ALL switches must be moved from on to off, hopefully this means all switches are normally in the on position when no decoder is fitted.... although the problem still stands that the instructions are not model specific.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
That book is the standard lgb chip fitting book and not specific to your loco

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I'm now seriously considering putting the decoders back in, putting the switches back to where they were and making do. Until I've expanded my knowledge of the inards and really know what I'm doing it'd be the safest way to go I think! If you, or anyone else, does come across any information regarding those pain in the a**e dip switches please remember me!!:happy:
Many thanks for your support with this, the warning of the smell of burning pcb was enough for me to do a u turn for the time being!

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Think your best bet is send it here. Ive done eiight and I'm getting the hang of it. It would bebfit you to get a Massoth relay part no 8242040 from Glendale juction about 12 quid. Like Isaid before both decoders need fitting one to each bogie.
Think it over.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I have a feeling that both decoders may have been used as one for each bogie, via the connections to the circuit board, it's just that only one had a 6 lead harness attached, so that's more than likely my mistake for assuming a needless installation there, doh!

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
I have a feeling that both decoders may have been used as one for each bogie, via the connections to the circuit board, it's just that only one had a 6 lead harness attached, so that's more than likely my mistake for assuming a needless installation there, doh!

That sounds about right

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
nicebutdim said:

That sounds about right

BTW the little interface cable is for lights a functions

Update from a man who knows Grey dip switches

all 6 off Digital

all 6 on analogue

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Thats great, many thanks for finding that out for me. Slowly my knowledge of this loco broadens! I re-built my ford fiesta when I was 19, I swear it was easier than working on some of these locos!! (never mind that I could repair that car with meccano tools and that it wasn't worth half as much as zouz)