LGB 23232 sound

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi just recently purchased this loco and was under the illusion that had sound in the tender. There is a speaker in there I just haven’t opened it up yet I run an analog track I know this local is digital. Should I be getting any sound ? I have a few dcc locos and they all work fine

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you are running digital?

1. Sounds could be turned off with a switch.
2. Sound could be turned right down with a volume pot.
3. Sound could be turned off with a function key.
4. Volume could be set to 'zero' with a CV value.

Try F5, F6, F8 for common sound off/on commands. - Not an exhaustive list..

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Exactly...

Hence my listing that there are an number of reasons why it may not work in his situation.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But hopefully, he can find a socially distanced DCC system which can..

Way too many unanswered questions, at the moment.. - One speaker, does not a sound-equipped loco make.

I would look to the instructions.. Then the underside of the tender, and under any covers and the coal load.. - Switches, volume control, space for a battery (perhaps).
Even signs that 'something' has been removed..

PhilP.

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Problem solved, hidden Compartment under that coal for a 9V battery, couldn’t find any instructions for this, so ended up taking the tender apart

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Me either, hence answer the question. Always thought the Drew power from the loco via the cable

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
T'was a way of keeping sound going on analogue..

There was a really early system which used plunger switches on the loco, and ramps on the track, to trigger sounds.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
A number of sound vehicles LGB and Bachmann used 9v batteries on analog to provide power with low track current.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
The manual from the LGB 20230 item will assist as reference material.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The manual for the 20230/20232 is really the separately sold sound tender part 69232. The tender gets it power for the sound and rear light plus the power socket in the rear via the 5 pin ribbon cable between the engine and tender. One problem I saw is sometimes the engiens had a DC only board and only a 4 pin cable in the engine thus eliminationg the sound power. Light and sound shared a common connection . Also the switch on the rear of the engine needs to be all the way to the right for everything to work properly. look for LGB 20232 pdf for the parts diagram of engine and tender, and 20230 for user guide.