LGB 22711 U class smoke problem

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
The loco is with fitted with factory decoder, the smoke is a 5 volt unit working through the decoder.
It works ok on analogue but is not working correctly when on dcc.
I have checked the voltage at the feed posts and I am only getting 2.5 volts (no load) on dcc.
any ideas ............?:thinking:
Ta in anticipation

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I've been told that if you only run on DCC is is best to change the smoke unit for a 24V one and set the decoder output to this as then the power runs straight through and reduced the load on the decoder which would stop this problem as well.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
haveyou tryed switching it on,useing a funtion key.ie f5

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
If you are using a non LGB DCC system some LGB decoders can have problems with all functions working.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you used a dc voltage range when you measured the 2.5v? Does the 2.5v you measured change if you turn the smoke function on/off ?

You say the smoke works ok on analogue dc: does it (and the loco) work ok in both directions? This isn't a problem with the main rectifier in the decoder I hope?

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the suggestions but i've sussed it after doing a bit of googling.
I have set CV56 to a value of 9 which is now giving me 5 volts on the output posts and good smoke..........:clap:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Curious that changing the voltage cv seems to be the solution. I'd have expected that you'd have the same under-voltage problem on that function under analogue dc before making the change.

Glad you appear to have sorted it!