LGB 21151 - Two 55021 decoders

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
I have just fitted two new 55021 decoders to this model. One for the engine and the other in the tender. Both motherboards have had their dip switches set to OFF.
I have given both components a CV1 address of 8 (loco number) as per recommendation from LGB. i.e. same CV1 number applied to both units.
I have also connected the grey interface cable between the two components.

So therefore when I test, the tender seems to drag when going forward and pull when going backwards with the tender light being very dim. When going forward the engine light is bright as I would expect.

So, any ideas as to what is happening here? Perhaps I should test the tender on it's own as I know the loco works fine on it's own.

Help, what's happening?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Might need to set up the speed curve and also the rear light voltage CVs....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Are the decoders new?

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
One is brand new the other 2nd hand (could be a reason) however I did first of all reset to default factory settings and then change CV1 to '8'.

The one in the loco is the new one.

When I programed the tender decoder, it 'nudged' on the programming track for each entry as I would expect it to do.

I haven't ruled out it being a possible duff 2nd hand decoder yet!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
What are you using to program the chips? LGB MTS interface or a Sprog?

If it's nudging along it sounds as if the tender decoder is working okay....

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
That's what I thought Gizzy. I'm using the LGB Universal 55015.

I think I'll open the tender up and check all and run it without the loco to try and ascertain what's what!

But I'll have to wait for this bloody rain to stop!

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
prob nothing to do with it but the motor in the tender can become loose and move from its locating plug ....which will mean the motor body spins in the body of the tender and the contacts on the motor will connect with the opisite pick up ...terminals making the tender run the same way no matter which way the power is....ive just fixed the very same problem ....though mine is anlogue the loco worked as it should but the tender always ran the other way round

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
ermmmm.......Tony, that's a possibility. I'll check.

I can confirm that all is working - ANALOGUE. Motor and movement all working.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
You need to treat these locomotives as two separate entities until you have both of them running in synch. I would run them sparated by several feet and trial and error, adjust the CV's to get equal performance. The fact that apparently the tender runs at different speeds in forward and reverse is very strange.

As a test, I would switch the decoders from one to the other and vice versa to troubleshoot the decoders. If the issue moves from one to the other then the decoder is at fault (CV settings, possibly). If the speed differential stays in the tender then an issue there with the tender motor. Have you had the locomotive from new and thus know the history of it?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
homestyal said:
That's what I thought Gizzy. I'm using the LGB Universal 55015.

I think I'll open the tender up and check all and run it without the loco to try and ascertain what's what!

But I'll have to wait for this bloody rain to stop!

I prefer to use the LGB 55045 PC Interface (I brought from the Stainzmeister) for setting up CVs, as it has a GUI I can see on my Laptop screen, but you should also be able to do it with your 55015 Remote too?

The GUI is very useful for checking the speed curves; I helped Bigjack set up 2 US Shortie locos last weekend. If you are still stuck, it might be worth contacting someone with a 55045/55060, or a Sprog device or similar to help you with your CV setup....