27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
All,

I wanted to get some input from the knowledgable members of the forum.

I recently purchased an LGB 2071 from e(vil)bay. It's a locomotive I always wanted as a kid and recently decided to treat myself. It was secondhand with some minor wear but generally in good condition aside from one of the coupling rods. It has come lose and won't stay in place. It's clearly had something happen to it but I cannot get the screw to hold in the socket. My girlfriend was able to secure it briefly but it came lose again after lifting the locomotive off the track. I've attached pictures but let me know if more information/pictures would be helpful.

Obviously I have reached out to the seller and we shall see what they say but was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and how they solved it?

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0338 2.jpg
    IMG_0338 2.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
from the pictures it looks like the screw might be a little short, but being that it isn't then I would try some red lock tight on the threads and let it dry properly, and being that that perhaps might not work I would suggest re-taping the hole with a larger screw which will mean also enlarging the hole that it rotates on. I have found that a 2/56 screw is just a little bigger than some of the LGB screws. TrainLi doesn't show that part in stock but they may be able to order it is part # 94 in the exploded parts diagram also I would recommend that is you can get a new part to also get a new screw and according to the diagram the screw for the left side and right side are different, maybe right and left thread, good luck, contact Joane at TrainLi for parts, good luck with your effort, Bill

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The crank piece that the screw goes into looks very scratched and chewed-up in the photos - is it even the original part, or a replacement that someone has tried to make? Does it match the equivalent part on the other side?
Aside from that, if you carefully check how the motion moves as the loco runs, is there enough clearance behind the crank to replace the screw with a similar diameter bolt (trimmed to length) with a nut on the back, without it fouling any of the other motion as the rods move?

Jon.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
When I had a rod failure on my LGB O&K, I looked up the part number, and sent off a request to LGB. It was here in 8 days (on the other side of the world).
While waiting for the part, I spent time disassembling the faulty bits, getting to understand how it goes together. Was up and repaired, and running, 4 minutes after opening the mail.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Relooking at the photos, is that screw being used in lieu of a rivet that has broken? Check what's on the other side.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
The crank piece that the screw goes into looks very scratched and chewed-up in the photos - is it even the original part, or a replacement that someone has tried to make? Does it match the equivalent part on the other side?
Looking at the exploded diagrams of these locos, it does appear that the 'spacer' would normally be part of the crank. As Zerogee says, check the other side.
https://www.modell-land.de/images/daten/25702explo.pdf

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Curtis, I have to agree with Paul. I don't think the "spacer" in pic 3 is a spacer at all. It appears to me to have broken free from the eccentric arm. I think it was an integral molded piece of the eccentric arm. I believe the exploded diagram referenced by Paul in post#6 confirms this. I can't say for certain because the 2070D I have is a very early version with riveted, pressed steel valve gear. You should contact Märklin or Modell-Land.de to see if you can get the correct part. You may need to order the complete valve gear, part No. E180551for the left side, which I just confirmed is available from Märklin for €33.

Phil S.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
All,

I wanted to get some input from the knowledgable members of the forum.

I recently purchased an LGB 2071 from e(vil)bay. It's a locomotive I always wanted as a kid and recently decided to treat myself. It was secondhand with some minor wear but generally in good condition aside from one of the coupling rods. It has come lose and won't stay in place. It's clearly had something happen to it but I cannot get the screw to hold in the socket. My girlfriend was able to secure it briefly but it came lose again after lifting the locomotive off the track. I've attached pictures but let me know if more information/pictures would be helpful.

Obviously I have reached out to the seller and we shall see what they say but was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and how they solved it?
If all else fails I would replace with a small sized BA or equivalent sized Nut and Bolt. You would probably need two nuts with washers both sides to act as Lock Nuts, these could be put to the front for clearance purposes, painted Silver with any protruding Bolt Head cut off and it will not be noticeable except on an in your face look.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You might try gluing the "spacer" back onto the eccentric arm using acetone or some other suitable solvent if it is the original part. As Jon has said, it almost looks as if someone tried to make a replacement. And, as everybody else suggested - a comparison to the other side will tell the tale.

Phil S.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like some one has tried to repair it in the past and have either changed the screw and/or stripped the thread in the motion. The scratches seem to ensure from previous repair attempts. Nice looking loco though, I sure it'll be an easy fix

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
you could try filling in the screw hole in the eccentric arm, but failing that a new one will be required i think the one from the Spreewald is the same, as modell-land don't seem to have one for the u-class in stock. think it should be square shaft on the back.

Gestänge rechts Dampflok Spreewald LGB 23741-M136

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
looking again at the pictures and the one John posted i think the one on the u-class has been fabricated by some one, the size doesn't look correct and to my eyes the colour looks a bit off?

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I had a similar failure once sourced the valve gear from modell-land.de and simply replaced the said item NB care must be taken with the motion bracket also take care to order the correct side

meiningen8