LGB 2035 MZ

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All

I have taken delivery of a LGB 2035MZ Tram, can anyone explain why its got the MZ prefix?

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The exploded diagrams online cover both versions so structurally identical. To me the MZ indicates a DCC version (MTS/MZS in German).

But that's a guess and I defer to those with greater historical knowledge of LGB products.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have taken delivery of a LGB 2035MZ Tram, can anyone explain why its got the MZ prefix?
Is the tram in a (basically) a yellow and white colour scheme with just LGB on the side, and white roof boards, or is the some variation?

A suffix like MZ, or similar, was often used in the early ish days of LGB to distinguish a short run production of a standard model with different colours or lettering, usually as for some sort of promotional activity for whoever placed the order.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The exploded diagrams online cover both versions so structurally identical. To me the MZ indicates a DCC version (MTS/MZS in German).
An MZS version would necessarily need at the very least a 4 wire motor block, but that is not what the exploded diagram shows.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag

The set of blue/white tram and trailer had the catalogue number 20202, though the separate models (in earlier times) had the numbers 2035 (motorised tram) and 3500 (unpowered trailer).

For 20202, the GBDB website includes the sentence "Self-propelled streetcar with matching unpowered unit in a blue/white color scheme, modeled after the streetcars operating in München (Munich) Germany and Zurich, Switzerland." so could MZ stand for Munich/Zurich?

That sentence is lifted from the 1990 New Items leaflet (and, no doubt, subsequent catalogues) . . .

1678561823586.png

Cheers

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The above posts demonstrate why I defer to those with more experience; I am constantly amazed by the depth of knowledge on this forum. MZS suggestion duly withdrawn!

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Great stuff thanks all, just hadn’t seen the MZ prefix before and as I bought the tram and trailer separate wasn’t sure on it.

Thanks all for your expertise.