LGB 20275

Blang6875

Registered
2 Aug 2022
Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
How do you extend the duration of the power pack on the LGB Ballenberg HB33 form 2022? I have tried changing the CV's but no luc>

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Umm.... hard to understand...

So, you must have a DCC version, since you referenced CVs

Do you mean a "keep alive"? Where the loco can run for a while with only onboard stored power? Like a capacitor bank?

"power pack" normally refers to the power generating source for a layout, that is not on/in the loco.

Is this for movement or sound?

Greg

Blang6875

Registered
2 Aug 2022
Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
Primarily the sound but both would be ideal. I have a lens lzv100 set up for programming.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So the problem is an interruption in power that causes the sound to quit or "reset"?

So the thing you will want to do is to add a "keep alive" to your decoder.

It is an energy storage unit that will keep the decoder from resetting....

First off, just to be sure, what happens? Are you running slowly and there is a dead spot and the sound changes?

Greg

Blang6875

Registered
2 Aug 2022
Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
I am running slowly and the engine hesitates and the sound drops while running over a Piko switch. LGB says that the decoder has a keep alive and shows cv’s to change it but I am missing something as I have changed them and there’s no difference.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, the keepalive might not do what you want, it might avoid resetting the main decoder, but it might not support the sound output.

What is the decoder model? Perhaps we can find some more information on it.

I would be surprised if the keepalive was not "on" by default... maybe that is why no difference, it is already on...

Greg

Blang6875

Registered
2 Aug 2022
Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
Well as is typical of Märklin there is no model number for the decoder, they say it is a 32 function 27 pin decoder an you need to set cv’s 31 and 32 to different values for cv’s 257 to 512 with 260 to 290 being specific to the buffer.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, this is a recent decoder, since the Marklin takeover.... so it must be MFX capable...

I searched a bit, hard to find the manual, do you have a link for the manual?

Also seems it was produced, then not produced, then produced again... I expect yours is the newest production with the mfx decoder...

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, the keepalive might not do what you want, it might avoid resetting the main decoder, but it might not support the sound output.

What is the decoder model? Perhaps we can find some more information on it.

I would be surprised if the keepalive was not "on" by default... maybe that is why no difference, it is already on...

Greg
Greg, I think part of the problem is LGB say it has a keep alive, when in fact I don't believe any of them actually do, I am sure it's a translation error, the instructions for all the new MFX chips, mention the same thing I.e. a "keep alive" (in the English translation) I have tested multiple different locos including the one above and if a keep live is factory fitted it does absolutely nothing, till you buy and fit the "55429" power storage device. What I believe the instructions should say is that it has the facility to accept a keep alive (i.e. there's a little plug on top of the MFX chip now) and you can alter the CVs to suit, not that it actually comes with one.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I suspect you are right.... if there is a capacitor bank on the decoder, and it is set up for G scale, the capacitor sizes will be significant. It would easily be determined by a phots.

If there is a open socket that is the keepalive socket that would be the clincher...

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I suspect you are right.... if there is a capacitor bank on the decoder, and it is set up for G scale, the capacitor sizes will be significant. It would easily be determined by a phots.

If there is a open socket that is the keepalive socket that would be the clincher...
There has been a thread on this forum with regard to the 55429 power buffer and how and where to fit one

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
this thread?

Greg

Blang6875

Registered
2 Aug 2022
Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the manual that came with the decoder, it surely seems to indicate what it calls buffering!

Cheers

Bill

Attachments

• LGB decoder.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the manual that came with the decoder, it surely seems to indicate what it calls buffering!

Cheers

Bill
LGB does not include keep alive devices in their locos - they need to be added. The MSD3 decoder DOES have CVs used to control what aspects to apply power to (motor, sounds, lights, smoke, etc) as defined in the manual.

You will need to install this to the decoder to provide keep alive power - 55429

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, I think part of the problem is LGB say it has a keep alive, when in fact I don't believe any of them actually do, I am sure it's a translation error, the instructions for all the new MFX chips, mention the same thing I.e. a "keep alive" (in the English translation) I have tested multiple different locos including the one above and if a keep live is factory fitted it does absolutely nothing, till you buy and fit the "55429" power storage device. What I believe the instructions should say is that it has the facility to accept a keep alive (i.e. there's a little plug on top of the MFX chip now) and you can alter the CVs to suit, not that it actually comes with one.
This is 100% correct