LGB 12010 switch drive

NGKiwi

Trains
23 Dec 2009
Auckland New Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Can someone tell me exactly how weather proof the LGB switch drive (12010) and the track contact (17100) are?
I want to use them to control the points at a reverse loop.
Do need to provide any extra sealing to use them outside?
I don't want to install them just to have them short out or have the terminal screws corrode away.
Thanks
Hugh

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Although I have used LGB point motors and supplementary switches outside without covering the screw holes and had no problems, I do so now.

I found that some of the newer supplied motors had an inferior grade connector and screws which did rust. However, I simply repaired these by unsoldering the old connector and soldering a long flying lead that attaches to the connector of a parallel motor used on a crossover.

I now cover the holes on motors with a vinyl label displaying the MTS address of the point. On the supplementary switches that operate my signals, I have filled the holes with an aircraft grade mastic which is easily removed if required.

Like others, I have a maintainance schedule where I clean out the motors and give them a squirt of WD40 bi-annually....

NGKiwi

Trains
23 Dec 2009
Auckland New Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the info, most helpful. I feel more comfortable about using them outside now