LGB 1015U, 1201, and 1203

LoveOnRails

Registered
12 Apr 2024
Loveland, Ohio
Best answers
Country flag
So, I inherited a bunch of G-scale track from a now deceased G-scaler, and am in the planning stages for building my own G-scale garden railroad from this. Amongst the track components is a piece having 3 components fastened together, a 1015U, a 1201 and a 1203. See attached pic. IMG_0729.jpegI googled what each of the pieces do, but as a trio I’m baffled as to what collective function they have. I also saw this trio of components sold as a unit at a recent G-scale train show. What especially puzzles me is why a switch machine (1201) is attached without a turnout. As configured, I would say that when a train passes over the 1015U, it throws the switch on the parallel track, but I fail to see why that would be useful.

So, I’m looking for enlightenment over this contraption. I would appreciate your insights.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.

I too can't think why a point motor would be attached to a 1015U. It's an isolation track and the motor and auxiliary switches don't seem to be required.

Unless someone else would know....

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The only thing I can think of is the point motor, with the attached auxiliary switch, is use as a remote way of switching on & off a dead section of line passed the isolation rail.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with the others it’s a type of remote switch,

It would probably work well with the Lgb DC electrical system - can’t remember the name,

By doing it this way does it minimise voltage drop to/ from a control panel?

Dan

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It could be used with another isolator to act as reversing unit on a loop.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
So, I inherited a bunch of G-scale track from a now deceased G-scaler, and am in the planning stages for building my own G-scale garden railroad from this. Amongst the track components is a piece having 3 components fastened together, a 1015U, a 1201 and a 1203. See attached pic. View attachment 326056I googled what each of the pieces do, but as a trio I’m baffled as to what collective function they have. I also saw this trio of components sold as a unit at a recent G-scale train show. What especially puzzles me is why a switch machine (1201) is attached without a turnout. As configured, I would say that when a train passes over the 1015U, it throws the switch on the parallel track, but I fail to see why that would be useful.

So, I’m looking for enlightenment over this contraption. I would appreciate your insights.
I would believe the 1201 motor is being used with a control box to trigger the relay in the 1203, which provides power (or not) to the 1205U. It would be paired with another 1205 for the isolated section. Basically its just a way to control power in an isolated section of track. The EPL system was/is pretty sophisticated.

Reactions: 1 user

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Most likely it is was being used as part of some EPL based automation to switch power on/off to a section of track as required for whatever the automated function required.

You can just see a red wire from the 1203 heading under a sleeper on the 1205u isolation track section. The 1201+1203 combination in this case is simply being used as a relay, which is conveniently located at the track section concerned.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum! As you have found out, there's a lot of useful information on here, just beware of the humour.
It wouldn't be a way of changing a signal by any chance?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It wouldn't be a way of changing a signal by any chance?
I did wonder about that, but it is a point motor rather than a signal motor....

LoveOnRails

Registered
12 Apr 2024
Loveland, Ohio
Best answers
Country flag
Wow!! So many helpful hints! The diagrams were the most useful to me. Thanks to all who contributed, though. — Mark

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag