LGB 1015U / 1015T advice please

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Advice please
what are these i have a stack of them are they a switchable isolating rail (the U has a split in one rail the T has both rails split or as i hope are they a switch that will operate something when ever a magnet on a train gos over the top.

If the later, does the switch stay switched or is it a single pulse. Also i take it i can put 18 /24v though them

Im hoping that when a train past over one that it would activate an isolated section of track somewhere else

Many thanks in advance
Tony

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Hi Tony

If you simply remove the cover by removing the 2 screws underneath you will see that these are simply isolating rails with the connections for use already there, it is east to trace which scre connection does what,
If you wish to introduce remote control controlled by the passage of locos you need 17100 track contact & 17010 loco magnet, ( although in practice reed switches and any flat magnets which will fit beneath locos will work just as well and less expensively)

You would also need to use LGB 12070 supplemenry switch which connect simply to LGB point/signal motors these are a relay controlled DPTD switch.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its a good idea to try to use an LGB catalogue as a reference guide to what all these track items do

hope this helps

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
oh ok thanks for that mine clearly have been adapted then as the ones i can take apartl are filled with gell, diodes and reed switches allready so back to the drawing board

cheers Tony

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
These are isolating tracks, either single rail, or double, but your's appear to have been adapted if reed switches have been installed.

I'd have to see what is connected to where, to be able to work out what they are doing, but my guess is some sort of shuttle system....

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
they are the reversing sections made by LGB (when used as a pair ie 1015t and 1015 U) _ 
one section has a diode board -the idea is that in a fully isolated dogbone return loop-where there normally would be a problem of +positive meeting - negative on the loop 

these pieces do not have relay-the simply have a cover over the board inside with separate poles to wire each leg of the isolation track-one of the pieces has its own board built in with electrical current direction controlling diodes  

-the loop is isolated by using one of each at opposite ends of the return loop  

-the diodes allow a single travel direction in to the loop by the train

-the loco enters the loop -the 1015t allows current to feed into the isolated loop but doesn't allow this from the 1015U-  

then when you slow, stop and reverse the polarity from the trafo-the other set of diodes ) allows current to flow into the isolated portion-the loco continues and the issue of wiring and other matters associated with a reversing loop are eliminated-  

these are actually rather pricey little sets
  very very handy-but require the driver to slow and stop and reverse every time the reverse loop is entered  *

*however if one uses a magnet and relay -then while the loco is in the loop a relay controlling polarity could be used, and with a quick change of polarity the train will continue on without a slow and stop (well except for a split second during the change over) 

as noted they have a set of connector poles under the covers which can be altered to other functions as well-they can feed power to on side or the other or both, and, if i recall rightly, each individual rail as well-so these could be used for sidings , passing tracks, etc  

they could even allow an engine to enter a siding , and be 'parked' simply by reversing the polarity of the throttle and allowing another engine to run in the opposite direction

of for an engine to enter a stub and stall on the stub until the throttle was reversed (using the diode feature) 

as i recall one of the sections-1015 t or 1015u-cant tell you which -has the diodes-the other is simply a rail isolator-without diodes-   

as LGB switches power both legs this works -the power feed remains the same leg of the point-but varies the 'gate' -ie power supplied via the diodes-  

this may be unintelligible as ive described it
if so ask and ill muddle on