LGB 10154 Auto unload track on DCC?

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Evening all,

Currently working on a project that has an LGB 10154 track section for operating the early auto unload wagons - can these be used with DCC? I'm struggling to find any instructions to help with this track? Currently the track section is dead so won't allow trains to drive over it...

Any help much appreciated :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Send a boy to do a man's job.. :p;)

Here you go Andy:

https://www.trainli.com/USER-GUIDE-PDF/Track/lgb-10154-user-guide.pdf

You'll need to get a 'changover' of volts, depending on whether you want to tip, or level, the wagon.
You can probably do this with a spare channel on a Massoth point decoder (if DCC) or a centre-off c/o switch, if DC.
PhilP.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
That was the set I found - but no mention of DCC. I'm quite happy that an LGB point decoder can fire it either way, but currently I have no track power to the middle 600mm section of track so a train can't drive over it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmm. :nerd::think::think:

This item will pre-date DCC, I reckon??

You may need to look at stripping the existing electrics, and fitting a bridge, function decoder, relay etc. actually on-in the wagon.
You may be able to 'superimpose' a DC potential on the isolated track section???

So make it part of the DCC-powered track, but have DC switched onto just that short section? - I reckon whatever is in the wagon, will probably ignore the DCC, and just respond to the DC polarity??

All of these I have seen, the electronics has been onboard the wagon.
HINT: Smaller-scale decoders have been used to keep the costs down.

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

I modified one of these for DCC. I moved the track pickups so they picked up on both rails and used a small HO scale decoder (1 amp) to control the tipper. Just select it as a loco and, with fine control, tip the hopper.

Geoff

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have 2 of these dump cars and added a small HO motor decoder to control the dumping ( I used a Zimo unit rated for large scale voltages). Now I can dump anywhere on my layout, no special track needed!!
I swapped parts from a non motorized version 41603 with a motorized version 41600 so I now have 2 different colors and road numbers (last 4 digits).