Length of 2 axle LGB wagons

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Really basic question, I hope. I've been thinking of building something like "Inglenook sidings" for playing with on the wet weekends that are likely on the way soon.

I'm hoping that LGB decided to re-use the same two axle chassis and just make new bodywork as that would make life easier - probably too much to ask for :) although I assume that even if there are multiple chassis types the dimensions would be pretty close between types.

Can someone tell me how long including the loops are two axle wagons / coaches so i can guesstimate how much space I'd need for the baseboard?

Thanks

Dave

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
The wagons in this pic are 310mm over loops.

y3l3.jpg

Toy Train are shorter at 265mm.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
You can get quite a good layout on two 4' by 2' boards.

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks both, I think I might start a gentle process of aquisition by keeping an eye open for some bits 'n bobs.

Dave

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry this pic is not sharp, but these three are all lined up to show the different lengths, toy train repaint is in front.

9be137d438dc4de5ac4ab5c2bd5691dc.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Shortest LGB wagons are 250 mm over buffers?

A little less than a standard LGB 10000 straight which are 300 mm.

I've just been out and checked....

Enginehouse

Amateur Radio, 16mm/G scale railways
24 Oct 2009
Peterborough
Best answers
This is quite interesting. Having just decided to add a 32mm gauge track to the existing 45mm out in the garden, I have been contemplating a similar scheme to build a small layout about eight ft long indoors. However I have been planning to use 32mm track purely on the basis of a tight loop fitting into a 3ft max width. Much rather use 45mm LGB though - half the price and twice the strength.

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
I've just been out and checked....
Thanks, hope that didn't cause you any problems, like maybe having to run a train :D

So based on a compromise figure of 300mm for a wagon, 250mm for a Stainz I'm looking at enough length to fit 5 x wagons, R1 point and 3 x wagons + loco... 3m? Pretty damn close to Playmo's 8" estimate or go for toytrain wagons and save maybe 5cm on each or about 40cm overall, 2.6m? Sounds like possibly makes it practical to fit in the boot of the car for portability. I think I'll have to have a measure tomorrow and in the meantime fire up Visio with the LGB templates.

Thanks all

Dave

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I work on a maximum of 4' by 2' for each board as that fits nicely across the back seat or, with the seats down, fore and aft, so two boards give you your 8'.

I was surprised how much you can fit in in that space, especially if you have a centre track with a run-around either side. (I've just taken apart a mock-up I was experimenting with but may put it together quickly to do a photo.)

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Just been skimming through the history of "Hardyard" - very interesting, I'll have to take a slower, better read later.

I have a saloon car without the facility to fold the rear seats and assuming we'd all be going to wherever the boards went I don't think Jnr. would appreciate sitting on a baseboard so it needs to be able to fit in the boot. I think this will be the limiting dimension.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I think you may be looking at 3' or maybe 1m in that case.

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
I've been thinking about a 45mm gauge shunting layout for indoor use over the winter.
I usually have a temporary loop in the living room in the colder months but a more permanent and less intrusive layout upstairs would suit me better; no doubt the Mrs will moan about me being upstairs too much :D

I look forward to seeing what plans you come up with :)

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
So I still need to get my finger out and measure the dimensions of the boot and the opening, no point making something that could fit but you can't get into - though I bet I wouldn't be the first and I know my old model sub just can't fit into this car :rofl: but that's another story. Pretty sure I have an old frame in the garage that's "sort of" baseboard size that I could do a physical check for fit with.

In the meantime I decided to use 3' as a dimension and see how it might be. That makes it three boards and I'd be putting all the worky bits - points, on the centre board. I haven't quite managed to jiggle the bits to make all the connections parallel to the board but there's only part of a curve thet crosses the join so if I can accomodate a slightly longer board or nudge it all along a bit ..... ?

Anyway, for now it looks sort of like this -

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a good plan Dave!

Hardyard was built on 2 boards and uses a sector plate. It has a straight cut at a 22.5 degree angle from the sector plate where the boards join. I use a couple of cut down fish plates to join the rails, although this is not necessary for the electrical connection. The blue line marks the back scene.

f77a4a0bad454bd19c1a768e16a8f51d.jpg

Looking at your plan the curve on the join shouldn't be a problem, as it is almost straight.

The only point on Hardyard is just after where the boards join. I use a couple of railclamps to assist in track and board alignment, but again, not necessarily for the electrical connection as both boards have their own wiring and are linked together with a plug and socket arrangement. The point is driven by a Cobalt DCC motor.

Good luck with your project and if I can help with any advise, then please PM me....

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Mickleover Model Railway Club are (is?) holding their annual Show (just the Club, not like the big open Spring Show they organise earlier in the year at Derby) this coming weekend. On show will be just one G scale layout among the small stuff- a German industrial layout about 8 foot long, called "Battenberg," built to be transportable in a small car. It's only £3 to get in so anyone in the East Midlands with a couple of hours to spare might be interested. The fact that I shall be helping to run the layout on Sunday should not deter anyone...

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I've quickly rebuilt the mock-up I had down in the garage to show what I had in mind. The aim is that the layout will be modular and made up of modules which allow either an end-to-end run or a round-and-round run or a mix of the two. The layout shown is of one of the termini with the track coming in at the bottom over a low viaduct (it's a coastal railway so the viaduct is coming in over an estuary or some such). The two boards (only one has got as far as a coat of grey paint yet) are both 4ft by 2ft.
aa7b18126e1043379fa7742fe6814c4c.jpg
aa7b18126e1043379fa7742fe6814c4c.jpg