LBSC Chingford Express

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I recently, with the help of a few others, picked up his locomotive from a gentleman here on MLS. She is a LBSC designed "Chingford Express" modeled after a GER 0-6-0t, similar locomotive to the Aster GER. Single cylinder, slip eccentric with a Smithies boiler fired on alcohol with a 4 wick burner(twin feed tubes side by side with 2 wicks each). After an air test, general cleaning she fired well on blocks, then rollers and here we see on the layout. After this run I better aligned the blast pipe with the chimney and did a slight modification to the front of the firebox as it had an opening that was letting the crank throw oil into the firebox and all over the place were it shouldn't be. Just fired here on blocks and even at tick over speed she draws the fire well on rollers now in either direction. The throttle is super sensitive going from tick over to warp speed very quickly. Might have to see what can be done with that. She is very powerful and barely needs any throttle to pull that freight/passenger consist of which that high side gondola is very heavy being wood body with cast metal trucks along with most wagons having cast iron wheels. GER was absorbed into the LNER at the grouping, so decals for LNER and lining will be on order soon. Enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
What it needs is a finer taper to the tip of the throttle. I will discuss this with someone in our live steam group as I am not a machinest so I cannot modify it myself. I wish I had the skills to build something like this! I just buy them and enjoy them when I can. I am going to take the throttle apart today and see what it looks like.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
What it needs is a finer taper to the tip of the throttle
You're right, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I put thread, a finer taper is the way forward! Is the regulator scratch built as well, or is it made from standard parts?

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
The whole model is scratch built, wheels are cast iron castings. The plans were published decades ago in a magazine and in books later on. Its a brilliant design, but it really is an "Express" 0-6-0T with its speed, will give the Aster Pannier a run for its money on the Express or Commuter trains .

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, there's not too many out there that will totally scratch build a loco right down to the wheels, you're lucky to get it

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I wouldnt be supprised either if its nearly 50 years old. Especially with the extensive use of rivets vs tapping the holes and use tiny bolts or screws as we see on most recently built models in gauge one. Unfortunately no history is known as it came from an estate sale thru a reseller online. I am very blessed to own and enjoy it.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
50+ years ago, the prolific 'Curly' lawrence, or "LBSC" as he signed his models, offered plans and made models when there was a shortage of manufacturers - in particular between the wars.
LBSC - IBLS
I wouldn't be surprised if Mike's loco is more than 50 years old.

You can still get copies of his plans.
LBSC Gauge one Locomotive - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder
Ah, that explains it - I was wondering where the LBSC came from as that is another railway company over here, and nothing to do with the GER :clap: :clap:

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
You're right, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I put thread, a finer taper is the way forward! Is the regulator scratch built as well, or is it made from standard parts?
Jason Kovac at The Train Department has fine control regulator spindles -maybe the whole assembly- but I'm not sure if they will fit, or need some pipework to  make them fit...