Layout in Progress

Yardtrain

Registered
22 Jun 2018
Western NY
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for ideas on how to line the walls of the canyon we are constructing. It is approx. 10 inches deep.IMG_5273.JPGIMG_5308.JPGIMG_5309.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello 'Yardtrain'

Welcome to the Forum..
No doubt others will chip-in soon..
You could use anything fairly solid, that takes your fancy.. Log-roll, Roofing slates/tiles, thin-section natural stone (on edge), small paving (again, on edge), brick/stone walling, Large 'rockery-type' stones, some form of lawn-edging, decking timber (on edge).. - You get the idea?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC!
Lots of good ideas from Phil already, nothing much to add to that, at a slight tangent I'd suggest you ensure that the bottom of the "canyon" is well drained - you don't want your track sitting in a couple of inches of water every time it rains....

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Any of Phils ideas will work, broken Paving Slabs will make a nice feature broken up very small and back filled with cement to the lawn should make them fairly permanent. Leave an inch below the Grass Line to be filled with soil and the grass will grow to the ends.. Or do a mowing border with Block Pvious cemented in for a nice neat lawn edge.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Yardie!

My only observation is that, when you have a cutting or canyon, it will fill up with various garden detritus over a period of time.

I would personally stay away from log roll or other wooden product as these rot away over time....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
May I add, trimming the grass at the canyon's edge might be an issue.

As JonD mentioned, leave the retaining wall, if you build one, below the grass line. This will make cutting the grass at the very edge somewhat simpler, as you can run the front of the mower over the edge. If you raise the retaining wall above the edge of the cut, then a string trimmer is in order. Personally, I have a difficult time with string trimmers.

Also, not to put a damper on your plans, but as Gizzy mentioned, debris likes gullies.

Yardtrain

Registered
22 Jun 2018
Western NY
Best answers
Country flag
The reason for the cut ?
is it to keep the rest of the track close to being level ?

Yes, that was the reason. Instead of raising the other end of the loop a Foot we decided to lower this side instead.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Too bad , great reason for bridges and hills etc.
under my track is a foot of 3/4inch stone in fabric to help with drainage .
Great start though .

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. I am constructing my railroad now too. I used fairly flat stones and set them in concrete to make my border . When filled in it looks pretty good. IMG_20180501_075533232.jpgLooking forward to seeing your railroad develop. Jack..

Reactions: 1 users