Laying tracks in decking

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Right, this is it! At last I'm starting work in the garden and I've been granted permission to build a new line. As my garden is small I intend to lay some of the tracks through a deck that I'm building. The proviso is that the rail tops are flush with the top of the deck. I've seen some pictures, but not in great detail. Has anyone else done it, and has anyone got any suggestions please? The track I'll be using will be LGB for toughness,
Thanks in advance
Paul

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Are you hoping to have curves in the deck?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I'll have to I'm afraid. I'm hoping to get away with a removable section on the other side of the deck, but one side will definitely need a 1/4 of a circle

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Make a Template of the track base then use a router to make the trench in the decking the depth of the track. When the track is fitted to the deck you then fit a insert of decking between the rails to protect the track. You can just rebate the rails into the deck but this will be a lot more difficult to do.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
That is what I was thinking. Use a template of a swinging arm to maintain a smooth curve. The straights are easy - just space the decking boards to the sleeper width and infill with something shallower.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Make a Template of the track base then use a router to make the trench in the decking the depth of the track. When the track is fitted to the deck you then fit a insert of decking between the rails to protect the track. You can just rebate the rails into the deck but this will be a lot more difficult to do.
I did think of a router, but I've never used one before, and I value my fingers!

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I did think of a router, but I've never used one before, and I value my fingers!

Yes like all power tools (or even, all tools) you must use them safely and properly. If you have not used one before may be worth asking advice from a friend who does know how to use, but used properly are a very useful and versatile tool. recessing for the track should not be difficult but you do need to use a jig to get a nice clean line. Having said that, it is quite possible to do free hand lettering for example, but decking is not the place to practice really !

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Right, this is it! At last I'm starting work in the garden and I've been granted permission to build a new line. As my garden is small I intend to lay some of the tracks through a deck that I'm building. The proviso is that the rail tops are flush with the top of the deck. I've seen some pictures, but not in great detail. Has anyone else done it, and has anyone got any suggestions please? The track I'll be using will be LGB for toughness,
Thanks in advance
Paul
I do have a Router and know how to use it. But curves would indeed be tricky with a Guide being required that is well held in place and also altered for the second rail, tricky to get right. Then there will be holding the rails in gauge with a special track gauge. Finally my biggest worry you will have created a couple of Trenches for Water to sit in. Not condusive for long life of the deck bearing in mind that you will have probably cut out most of the Preservative in creating the groves.

Perhaps the best bet might be to Double up on the decking where the Track will go. Then fill the deck with off cuts to the sleeper ends. This though may give issues with Stock Clearance? Track could be lifted to be flush with the top of the deck with perhaps some packing, plastic thin Filcris might do that job.

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Don't know if you are using electric for your track you could use aluminium bar set in a groove like a tramline that will give you less cutting out and bend to what ever radius you need.

Shaun

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
One thing nobody has mentioned is strengthening, if you are to router out (or any other method of reducing the thickness of the decking some type of support will be required as the integral strength of each board will be compromises, and when walked on could collapse.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I'll have to I'm afraid. I'm hoping to get away with a removable section on the other side of the deck, but one side will definitely need a 1/4 of a circle
What Radii of track are you using?

I'm not far away from you in Cambs, so I might be able to help....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
What Radii of track are you using?

I'm not far away from you in Cambs, so I might be able to help....
That's something else I've got to sort out! Now I have the base laid I'll have a measure up. Letc it be known that my planning is implacable:think:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Another approach would be - lay the decking level as normal, fix your track where you want it with screws then use 10/12mm thick rubber/synthetic rubber tiles to the whole deck (safer walking surface for all the family) but make sure there are small parallel gaps in both the decking planks and the rubber tiles to maintain good drainage and drying out.

Where you have the curved track, you can neatly cut the rubber tiles to suit.

Another benefit of this is that if you move house, there are no puzzling recesses in the deck for the new owners.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Could you just get away with routing grooves in the deck 45mm apart and do away with track altogether and line the grooves with copper metal foil for power conductivity.
I have seen this used by slot car people for their tracks.
Trains on rails and cars with a guiding slot and power pick ups are very similar when you look at it.
One problem would be corrosion of the foil but a conductive grease could be used to keep moisture at bay.
Just an outside the box suggestion.

Reactions: 1 users

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Could you just get away with routing grooves in the deck 45mm apart and do away with track altogether and line the grooves with copper metal foil for power conductivity.
I have seen this used by slot car people for their tracks.
Trains on rails and cars with a guiding slot and power pick ups are very similar when you look at it.
One problem would be corrosion of the foil but a conductive grease could be used to keep moisture at bay.
Just an outside the box suggestion.

Similar to my suggestion post 9

Shaun

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the help on this. Unfortunately the practicalities of doing and actually using the deck are a bit daunting. I'm probably going to have to revise my :(

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Copper foil on wooden slots probably won' work. Slot cars have no weight on the pickups, just a light spring or gravity.

My pal Jack runs track across his deck and uses a wood trim piece along the track to take your weight. You know it is there but the track stays in place.

littletone

Land Rover 101, Golf
25 Oct 2009
Sutton, Surrey, just south of London
Best answers
Country flag
I did it some years ago using a router, but only on straight track. My worry with laying curved track on decking is each decking board will move differently. DSCF5888.JPG DSCF5888.JPG DSCF5889.JPG DSCF5889.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

RedRoc

Registered
4 May 2011
Sussex, England
Best answers
Country flag
This arrangement has been in place for 5 years now without problems. I used a circular saw, it's all I had!

Img_001_Shsb_Decking Mockup.jpg Img_002_Shsb_Decking_Access hatches.jpg Img_003_Shsb_Decking_Recent.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've decided that due to the relative small size of the deck, using the track whilst people are on the deck wouldn't be practical. However that may well change if I can get myself proficient with a router!