wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No matter how bad it is... It will sell-out instantly!

Reactions: 1 user

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann Trains has released a photo of an engineering sample of Diesel.

Thanks for the link and for bringing this to our attention.

A friend of mine said he thought that Bachmann were bringing out Diesel from the TTTE & Friends range later this year, but I couldn't find anything online. Then a few minutes later I came across your breaking news post. I struggled to get the link to Twitter to work at first as my browser no longer supports it. But I downloaded google chrome and that did the trick.

Thanks,

Paul

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
And here's the pic from Bachmann's Twitter page.....
Large Scale Diesel - 1st picture.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Rather a stern looking chappy, isn't he.

No matter how bad it is... It will sell-out instantly!
Please don't forget, this is marketed as a TOY! It's not meant to be realistic in anyway, I mean the things got a FACE. Although no doubt in the right hands, we'll see some outstanding conversions on here soon

Last edited:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
The face panels are clip on, and I'll bet there are already people planning to make conversion kits!

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Please don't fory, this is marketed as a TOY! It's not meant to be realistic in anyway, I mean the things got a FACE. Although no doubt in the right hands, we'll see some outstanding conversions on here soon
I can see the body in great demand for Gauge 3 users if the size is right, the chassis looks like it will make a good basis for many G Scale Industrial or small main line Dismals and perhaps even Steam as well.

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag

Please don't forget, this is marketed as a TOY! It's not meant to be realistic in anyway, I mean the things got a FACE. Although no doubt in the right hands, we'll see some outstanding conversions on here soon

Exactly!!! I was looking at the picture yesterday and thinking if the face could easily be replaced with a radiator grill. I have to admit that I have kept the faces on Percy and his troublesome trucks as my wife and daughter like them, even though I considered face removal surgery when they were purchased.

Paul

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

In the first Rev Awdry book with this engine - Duck and the Diesel - he was not a pleasant character, and has a grim face on the front cover of the book :nod: :nod:

So, for TTE afficionados he's prototypical.

Much as I loved the Thomas stories as a kid, and much as I love the models, I think that in order to do them justice, you have to go totally Sodor, so sadly, it's not for me.

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Depending on the price point, it'll be very interesting to see how it sells - it's also ripe for reliverying - in addition to 'Diesel' himself, the much expanded cast of recent versions includes several 08 derivatives - 'Arry and Bert, Paxton I think, there may be others. New, more cheerful, faces may be required of course.

In terms of more protypical liveries with grilles instead of faces, it depends on the exact scale and level of cartoonish-ness. If it's big enough, there's certainly a market for the bodies regauged to gauge3. But if it's more of a halfway house, 1/25 ish, and looks "right' with NG stock like the LGB 2095?... well almost every SG preserved line in the UK has at least one 08 (or derivative), not always in BR livery, and I can see a lot of G-45 garden lines being very tempred to follow suit if the price is right.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As long as if it is 'between scales' it doesn't run on 50mm gauge track! :devil::rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
As long as if it is 'between scales' it doesn't run on 50mm gauge track! :devil::rolleyes:

I'll forebear to comment on that particular marketing decision...

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's very odd that with one hand, Bachmann say that they are ceasing production of TTTE stuf, then they come out with this model....hmmmmm,

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It's very odd that with one hand, Bachmann say that they are ceasing production of TTTE stuf, then they come out with this model....hmmmmm,

I believe a badly-worded press release?

It was/is(?) the small-scale range that was supposedly being stopped. - Though this does not seem to have happened either?

Bachmann Europe are listing:
91407 LS TTT Diesel (with moving eyes) awaiting £229.90

Which seems comparable with the non-sound Thomas and Percy loco's?
There is no 'with DCC and sound' listing. :wondering:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I believe a badly-worded press release? It was/is(?) the small-scale range that was supposedly being stopped. - Though this does not seem to have happened either?

Ah. Right.

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Diesel was originally announced back in 2017 (I think), and was cancelled at the time as he was going to be too expencive to make and sell. (Yes he was priced more than Emily!)

Anyway, it's nice that they have announced a new character.
Toby the tram was the last locomotive to be added back in 2013, I think.
(I know there is the red car thing who came sometime later, but I don't count him/it...)

Wish they could make Toby's coach Henrietta.
Might as well start planning to scratch build one.