L&B Crane

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
My eyes lighted on this at the recent Peterborough show. My debit card let out a scream as I removed from its cosy place in my wallet. SOLD. Here is the Porter House Models Lynton & Barnstaple travelling crane, 16 mm scale, 45 mm gauged (32 mm available). This is how all 3D printed models, RTR or kit, should be. I include a copy of the line drawing, from the amazing "'Measured and Drawn". Faultless. Working jib, hook, outrigger, etc. Rider - I have no connection financially or otherwise with the maker. Max

Edit - I should add this was supplied RTR, the only option at the point of purchase.

IMG_20230511_182612_747~2.jpgIMG_20230511_182631_955~2.jpgIMG_20230511_182708_028~2.jpgIMG_20230511_182741_642~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

s.e. charles

Registered
20 Nov 2022
northeast coast
Best answers
looks right the part

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
This is indeed a very nice model, someone was running one at our local group steam up yesterday. Painted mainly in dark red, sadly I forgot to take a photo of it, but appeared to be fitted with many working parts, although I did not see it in lifting mode, it really did look the part as a part of an engineers train.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This is indeed a very nice model, someone was running one at our local group steam up yesterday. Painted mainly in dark red, sadly I forgot to take a photo of it, but appeared to be fitted with many working parts, although I did not see it in lifting mode, it really did look the part as a part of an engineers train.

The jib lifts and swings, a full 360°. The weighted hook can be raised and lowered separately. Both prototypicaly. The outriggers, both sides, can be swung out, stays are included to hold them in position. Foot pads for the outriggets are threaded and can be raised and lowered. Like the prototype the two underframes depth are different. Correct detailing of items like chequer plate and other items are all there. See the drawings from "measured and drawn". It's pretty much all thete and to scale. The only "fault" (let's not be churlish) is a missing handbrake wheel :D The wagons are coupled by "faux" chopper couplings, using embedded magnets.and it can be coupled "out of the box" to mainstream chopper types from the usual sources.

This is a truly remarkable piece of work by this supplier. As mentioned before, it shows what can be done with 3D printing, and laser cutting/engraving, if you use it to its full capabilities.

20230618_102400.jpg

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It does need a wide loading-gauge though..

I know of a modeller who has modified/detailed it so the outriggers fit under the deck when stowed. - Amongst other things.
Which has made his into something unique.

PhilP

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Are you comparing the same prototypes PhilP, this model was only released at the time of this year's Peterborough show ? Look at the drawings, those outriggers are shown to pivot and stow as per the model's representation. The loading gauge looks pretty slim too me but then I do run US Fn3 stuff as well as 16 mm scale, and my line is gauged accordingly. Max

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Call me a parade-rain-onner, but given that they are selling a RTR version of the crane model for £125, I reckon that it represents astounding value for money. I'd pay that for the kit.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Call me a parade-rain-onner, but given that they are selling a RTR version of the crane model for £125, I reckon that it represents astounding value for money. I'd pay that for the kit.

You can see why I snapped it up at that price. That and * do have a bit of an L&B thing going on here. Shortly after it was shown as "out of stock" on their website. I understand the next batch might be nearer £300. It would make a fairly simple kit to build. Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There were in fact 2 of these cranes built for the LnB, peversly only one match truck. One spent its life in the goods yard at Lynton presumably using the single match truck to get there. The match truck must have returned to Barnstaple to be with the other crane for whatever use it would be needed for, derailments PWay work, Engineering work lifts etc.