Kingscale Gauge 3 Duchess

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Should you be fortunate to have purchased one of these models from a batch of 50, I would be pleased to offer you the run of my track at any time.
Plus any tuition should you require it!

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Should you be fortunate to have purchased one of these models from a batch of 50, I would be pleased to offer you the run of my track at any time.
Plus any tuition should you require it!

What a beauty, even the same Loco that I travelled behind on the HCRS Special between Kings x and Doncaster. Managed a slightly controversial 112 mph down Stoke Bank on the Up Line returning to KX. What a day with visits to Donny Works and Shed. Seen here at KX, please do not comment on the guys on the Track. Things were different those days. That guy rightbin the light trousers looks like my old pal Colin Turner, wonder what happened to him?
0C4C2578-3EF0-4A48-B54A-05004A3ECC21.jpeg
Now at Doncaster prior to that epic return to KX.
EF7A925E-5C2E-4A85-B2F8-7AB4DA65A323.jpeg
Epic day. Pity the Kingscale one is in the wrong livery......

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, just looking at the model made me consider the wonders of the real thing.

Just look at the crank throw in proportion to the driving wheel diameter - there must be some mighty power coming from the cylinders / pistons :nod::nod::nod: and all because of the coefficient of expansion of steam :think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually it's 1 burst per stroke, as opposed to a normal car with 1 burst per 4 strokes (4 cycle) (Otto cycle), or 1 burst per 2 stroke (2 cycle) (usually attributed to Dugald Clerk) usually in motorcycles.

more impressive to word it: power burst per revolution.

2 bursts in 1 revolution of the driver per cylinder... 4 bursts per revolution in a "normal" 2 cylinder loco.

just having fun....

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, it took me a long time to realise that steam loco pistons were pushed both ways - it's still the small movement of the crank to the large diameter of the wheel that amazed me.

:wondering:
it is, indeed, impressive.

But going back to Greg's point, weren't there some locomotive diesel 2-stroke engines that had pistons that pushed both ways :wondering::wondering::wondering: possibly Deltics had an engine developed from marine engines .............. memory is pretty faint on this one :emo::emo:

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
thats just sooooo good,,,, tempted by gauge 3,,,,, just need to rob a few banks,,,

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
240px-Napier_Deltic_Animation.gif

Yes, invented in the UK.... 2 stroke diesel used in a locomotive:

300px-Harringay_West_station_deltic_geograph-2391485-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, the Napier Deltic. Napier, as a prime mover/engine builder, made some of THE most complex infernal combustion engines ever fitted in anything. The H-24 in the Hawker Tempest/Typhoon was one of them, sleeve-valved, too, with semi-rotating open and closing rotary valves...they COULD have made it more complicated if they had really put their minds to it, but it was war-time, and they were busy.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Napier also made racing cars.

S F Edge made the first 100 mph lap of Brooklands (with its famous banking) in a Napier-Railton. However, the race was won by another Napier driver, Henry Tryon who later became an elder in the church where I was brought up.