JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
What!!! How can you be interested in Garden Railways and STILL have a fat wallet?o_O

You need a fat wallet, or a fat credit card, just to buy the track and stock Paul....

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Britains, and other so-called 'toy soldiers' are all made to a general height of 54mm not counting headgear. This is EXACTLY right for 1/32nd - Gauge 1 - as it represents a man of 68" tallth - average height at the turn of the 20th Century. The other main company making individual figures is the famous French Company of Historex.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Britains, and other so-called 'toy soldiers' are all made to a general height of 54mm not counting headgear. This is EXACTLY right for 1/32nd - Gauge 1 - as it represents a man of 68" tallth - average height at the turn of the 20th Century. The other main company making individual figures is the famous French Company of Historex.

I refer the Honourable Member to my post no.14..... though interestingly, when I looked up the King & Country website, they describe their own figures as "60mm", or 1:30 scale....

Jon.

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Best answers
I don't do France in this house

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I don't do France in this house

I am reliably informed, however, after many years research I have never quite come around to confirming, that they make rather palatable wine.

David

Reactions: 1 user

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
Best answers
I have been collecting some of the W. Britian figures for a possible future 1/32 scale US Civil War era trainset I would like to build.
I might never build the train! ;) but the figures and cannon models are really nice.
I have been collecting some of the 1/32 scale cannons, to place on a flatcar:

31066 - American Civil War 12 Pound Napoleon Cannon No.1

Amazon.com: W. Britain 31138 American Civil War 3" Ordnance Rifle No.1: Toys & Games

I have purchased 6 of the cannon over the past few years, to place on flatcars.
and I have General Grant:

31079 - Union General U.S. Grant

Right now they are just being stored..
my plan is to scratch-built a 1/32 scale Civil War era Mason 4-4-0, such as this:

With a military train of flatcars, for the cannon, and perhaps some boxcars.
I dont know if I will ever build the train! ;) but its on my list of possible future projects.

The main issue with these figures, which has already been mentioned, is that they are *small* for G-scale overall.
They are 1/32 scale, which is the smallest of the "G-scale" family of scales. (using the term "G-scale" in the generic sense to mean "several scales between 1/32 and 1/20.3 that run on 45mm track" - the term "large scale" is better to refer to the "family of scales that all run on 45mm track)

They are really too small for *most* G-scale model trains..
They will fit 1/32 scale and 1/29 scale trains just fine, but they will be noticeably small for 1/22.5 and 1/24 and definitely too small for 1/20.3.
Of course, you can always adopt the "close enough" ;) theory of model railroading, and choose not to care! ;)
but just be aware, they are on the smaller size..

(Edit and correction: I just noticed that W. Britian actually says they are 1/30 scale! Which is very slightly larger than 1/32. There wont be a noticeable difference if using 1/30 scale W. Britian cannon and figures with 1/32 scale trains..but 1/30 scale makes them very slightly larger than 1/32 scale, and closer to 1/29. In reality, they will be a fine match for any 1/32 or 1/29 scale trains, but still on the small-side for anything else)

So, im a big fan of W. Britian, I think their models and figures are very nice, and IMO reasonably priced for the high quality and detail.
I have been very into the US Civil war history in general, and the US Military Railroads of the Civil War in particular, for many years..
I have all the books! ;)

I dont know anything about the King and Country figures..never looked into them.

Scot

Last edited:

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
King & Country are regarded as very good but the price reflects this. I’ve not seen them together to compare but both makes have some very nice figures. K&C seem to be more limited and very collectible so prices go very high on eBay.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
King & Country are regarded as very good but the price reflects this. I’ve not seen them together to compare but both makes have some very nice figures. K&C seem to be more limited and very collectible so prices go very high on eBay.

Back when Snetterton Park Models used to be open (some on here will remember them as an LGB stockist, before their sudden closure a few years back due to the death of the owner), they had a huge selection of the K&C figures in display cabinets in their Military and figure collectables department - they were very expensive, but also REALLY nice and (in my opinion) much better sculpted and more naturally posed than what I've seen of the Britains figures, which seem to (very deliberately) hark back more to the "lead toy soldier" styling of their roots.

Jon.